ECN Forum
Posted By: Ryan_J Free dish installations - 12/13/03 01:59 AM
I saw this at work today...
[Linked Image]

Then realized the same guy must have done the whole street! [Linked Image]
Posted By: dougwells Re: Free dish installations - 12/13/03 03:17 AM
I install about 15 Star Choice systems a week. That top photo sure would not be compliant for our CEC. I wonder why it was installed that way. On the Bottom photos I sure wish our jobs were that easy.

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 12-12-2003).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Free dish installations - 12/13/03 07:33 AM
Well....the excuse could be the dishes are grounded/bonded/whatever. [Linked Image]

Interesting construction.....you don't see row-houses like that (and that clean) in da big city here. Dig the numbers on the street too. [Linked Image]

In all seriusness, is there a chance that water can leak through the holes that contain the bolts holding the antenna to the meter pan?

What if one of those screws hit a live conductor in there? God help the person who goes ahead to try and re-align the dish after it's been knocked out of position by a runaway basketball.

Betcha the guy used sheet metal screws.....
Posted By: dougwells Re: Free dish installations - 12/13/03 02:06 PM
I really do not think that they are mounted to the meters. They are mounted just above the meters on the wall.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Free dish installations - 12/13/03 05:01 PM
In the first picture you couldn't even open the panel.

In the second picture I wanted to bring up a question: This is a violation of dedicated working space. How many of you would red-tag for it though?

Sven: These are townhouses that are about 3(?) years old.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Free dish installations - 12/13/03 07:28 PM
The one that is mounted behind that tree will probably loose signal when the leaves return in the summer
Posted By: pauluk Re: Free dish installations - 12/14/03 10:41 AM
Apparently the installer has no common sense.

I wonder whether he had a ladder either: Why did he mount all these dishes so low?
Posted By: electure Re: Free dish installations - 12/14/03 04:38 PM
The installer that put my dish up when I lived "out in the sticks" got paid per unit.
The guy worked his tail off, as I had so many trees around that he couldn't get a good shot at the satellite.
Maybe this one was trying to make up for folks like me.
Re: the second picture
Is this really a violation?
You know, our "combination", or "all-in-one" resi services here have an inherent problem, in that the cover hinges are normally mounted on the top.
It's not uncommon to see guys working on a panel with the cover balanced on their head. I unscrew them, and set them aside, but then I'm old, not bold...S
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Free dish installations - 12/14/03 05:03 PM
In the first picture it wouldn't surprise me if the Customer was being insistant about having the dish mounted low so it wouldn't 'ugly up' the wall. The Installer is at fault though for not knowing better.

Bill
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Free dish installations - 12/15/03 06:52 AM
Just to add to the overall quality, notice how close the gas meters are to the services.
Posted By: mostwanted Re: Free dish installations - 12/16/03 08:48 PM
As a CATV instsller, I can relate..

First, when the housing units were roughed in, all the comm. lines were brought out to power and cut around 2' from the wall.

Second, these units are owned either by a private renting company or are condos managed by a home owners assc. They probly didn't want wires going upward to the roof. I.E. cosmetics

Third, one of the dish companys either offered to install thier equipment for free to make selling the tenants easier, or the cable wasn't accseible yet, again making the dish salesmans job easier.

Finally, In all actuality, thier are lots of variables, coming down to the final inspection being before the dish installations. I think that there might be some sort of high voltage lines or some other obstical limiting the placement of the dishes. I worked for Directv when Primestar went out of buisness doing the switch outs. The satellites were in diffrent locations in the sky, but we tryed to use the existing mounts. I went as far as cutting down an offending tree for one of my rural customers.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Free dish installations - 12/20/03 02:15 AM
Yup, I agree with Mostwanted. I've been there and done that too and would say that these units were originally wired for CATV. Note how telephone, cable and electric are brought out all at the same location. (Actually this is how it should be to facilitate ground bonding.) Apparently after the fact these people decided to go with dishes and that's where the coax was. For a variety of possible reasons as Mostwanted says that's where the dishes were located. Hey, at least there is no excuse for them to be improperly grounded though I'll bet they still are.
Posted By: mostwanted Re: Free dish installations - 12/22/03 03:12 AM
A lot of dish installers here are notorious for improper grounding
© ECN Electrical Forums