ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Water Heater (German) - 12/04/03 09:28 PM
As the pump of our 4.5kW water heater started to make unusual noises, i removed the covers and the steerings cover, to find the heating element was connected to the contactor with totally rusty ferrules, one was just soldered and screwed in. so i removed the corrosed parts, cut a bit of the cable as there was enough spare, removed the insulation, to find all the copper strands were black. not overheated, corrosed. I decided to change the whole cable, traced it to a cover on the heating element, removed the cover to see this:
[Linked Image]
thanks pump for failing [Linked Image] otherwise i'd never found this time bomb. imagine there were 4500W running on almost daily...

greetings
:andy:
Posted By: pauluk Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/05/03 11:33 AM
Not good. Is this a 3-ph 400V heater?
Posted By: C-H Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/05/03 01:01 PM
I'm not sure what it was originally, but it sure isn't whatever it was anymore! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/05/03 02:37 PM
I'm not sure what it was originally, but it sure isn't whatever it was anymore!
Yes .... But can you say that 3 times fast?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: :andy: Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/05/03 02:58 PM
this is a three phase 400V-delta heater.
i dont want to know if the heating element or the terminals were hotter when running...

i forgot to mention the age: 25 years. i'd thaught the corrosion protection would be a *bit* better, humm....

the wire under the green-yellow one is blue at the other end of the cable [Linked Image]

i couldnt find out if the connections ever were made fine (ferrules or soldered wire), as i couldn't get the terminals open yet... the water is warmed up by our central oil heating in the winter, the electric heating is just needed in summer, but i think i'll just leave it that way and shut the electric part down.

you can view a picture in 1280x960 at http://320036920636.bei.t-online.de/ECN/RIMG0109.JPG (~200kB)

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 12-05-2003).]
Posted By: C-H Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/05/03 03:52 PM
Bill, I tried and the third time I read it "I'm sure not what I was..." [Linked Image]

Andy, I didn't think connections could go that bad. Wonder how many volts were left for the heater once the connections had taken their share...

BTW. Is this a hot water cylinder? 4.5kW seems to little for a instantaneous water heater.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 12-05-2003).]
Posted By: :andy: Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/05/03 05:09 PM
its a cylinder, about 150-200 liters i guess

i still couldnt figure about the connection. what do you think is under the screw? soldered, ferrule or bare wires?

[Linked Image from 320036920636.bei.t-online.de]

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 12-08-2003).]
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/06/03 10:56 PM
Maybe a split bolt of some kind??
Orjust darn good luck for Any
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/07/03 05:12 AM
I see what looks to be the slot in the head of a screw.

Look at the vertical channel of sorts running north-east/southwest.

It's definitely a screw - probably with a little pressure plate to clamp against the wire. You don't want to tin wires that go under a screw. The solder will "creep" and the connection will eventually work itself loose from heat cycling.
Posted By: :andy: Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/07/03 12:42 PM
i knew its a screw, i just ask myself how the wire was made up before screwed in.
Posted By: electure Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/08/03 12:34 PM
The connections might have done just fine were it not for the leaks that this water heater has seen over an apparent long period of time.
It appears there's been a good deal of electrolysis as well from the leaky copper to steel water connections at the tank. (brass nipples don't do this).

Some people say that water and electricity don't mix, but alas, they mix all too well.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/09/03 11:19 PM
Das is nicht gut! Der machine ist gebroken!
Posted By: electure Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/10/03 09:16 PM
To all:
Please be very careful if you aren't fluent in another language.
Small mistakes in spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, etc. can make a big difference in what it means in a language other than English. Direct translations can cause big problems.
I only do Spanish, other than English, but can offer a couple of examples.
(E)"You're from the other side"
(S)"You're a homosexual"
(E)"I like him"
(S)"I'm a homosexual, and like him"

When I lived on the horse ranch, a nice old Mexican gentleman worked there. The girls, thinking they were being endearing to him, started calling him papa for about a month...a potato. (Papa can also mean Papa or Pope, depending on how it's used)
One of them asked him if he'd like to see her new car, using a Spanish word that she thought meant car, although it meant her most private parts. (He came running to me with his face scarlet red, wanting to know what was going on)
I'm sure we don't want to offend or insult anyone because of our lack of knowledge of their language.
Please be careful...S
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/10/03 09:24 PM
Hmmm....

Words in spanish for car: Automovil, auto, carro.

Nothing comes to mind as slang for genitalia, unless someone was playing a trick on her and told her wrong which is also a very shameful thing to do -- play tricks on people who don't speak the language.

The word "papa' " with an accent tick on the last A is an informal substitute for the formal "padre" - like "dad" for father. You pronounce it pa-PAH. I can't do the accent mark on a computer, so we will rely on a single quote mark.

The word "papa" without the accent mark is as you said, Spanish for potato or pope.
Posted By: electure Re: Water Heater (German) - 12/11/03 12:14 AM
Sven,
I don't want to say the nasty words here.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-10-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums