ECN Forum
Posted By: Roger A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/23/03 04:18 PM
Has anbody ever used any of these? It is made of Brass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Roger
Is that 2-sided?
Posted By: iwire Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/23/03 04:53 PM
I have never used one or seen one.

My guess is that is made for an old in floor duct system like Walker duct.

Is that what it is Roger?

Bob
Posted By: electure Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/23/03 05:38 PM
I'd agree it looks like a floor monument, but I've sure never seen one like this! Is it old?
Posted By: Roger Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/23/03 05:40 PM
Bill yes it is, here is the other side.

[Linked Image]

Bob, I don't know. They were mounted on 3/4" ridgid stub ups under tables, these stubs terminated in receptacles in adjacent walls.

Roger
One up and one down

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/23/03 09:59 PM
Bill, LOL I wasn't going to bring that up.

Electure, I'm not sure, it came out of a university renovation project. The building (part of which was a lab area) was probably 50 - 60 years old but the devices are grounded type and parts of the building had been renovated in the last 20 - 30 years.

Roger
Posted By: iwire Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/23/03 10:45 PM
One up and one down

DARN! we are never going to solve the which way up problem. [Linked Image]

They where just as confused 50 or 60 years ago. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/24/03 05:34 PM
FLASHBACK!!!

Elementary school library...

"Stop kicking them!"
Roger,

I wonder if one-up and one-down was done purposely.

From the first pictures posted I could tell the ground was up in the top picture and down in the second picture. Funny what details we notice, eh?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: crash Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/24/03 10:55 PM
"I wonder if one-up and one-down was done purposely"

I would guess that it was done on purpose. In order to make manufacturing easier. The unit is to small to have wires between the two opposite receptacles. There would probably be three small/solid busses (with two female ends) between the receptacles. Keeping both grounds in the same position would be too commplcated to manufacture.
Posted By: crash Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/24/03 10:57 PM
Not to mention, too complicated to spell
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/27/03 05:06 AM
Cool find. Were there lots of them?

How do wires attach to this thing? Does it have terminal screws, pigtails or push-in terminals?

Gotta admit that the first picture threw me off. I saw "receptacle" in the title and saw a piece of pipe and thought someone had goofed and gotten pix mixed up. [Linked Image]

Crash, isn't that how those cube triple-taps are made? The contacts are all stamped out of a flat sheet of brass or steel or whatever that is then shaped to fit the recesses of the plastic housing. Wouldn't it have been easier to have all the conductors go "straight through"?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-27-2003).]
Posted By: crash Re: A Different type of Duplex Receptacle - 11/27/03 05:33 AM
Yes Sven. The cube triple-taps would be manufactured in almost the same way. In this receptacle it looks like the hot and the "neutral" go straight through, if the hot and the "neutral" go straight through, then the ground cannot go straight through.
© ECN Electrical Forums