ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin What is This? ... - 11/12/03 02:32 AM
[Linked Image]
The "electrician" decided to convert this 2" EMT LB into some type of 2" EMT LB LL 3/4!

Submitted by;

Scott Griffin
Griffin Electric Co., Inc.
Central New York
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: What is This? ... - 11/12/03 12:17 PM
This used to be called "Yankee inginuity" now it is a violation.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: What is This? ... - 11/12/03 02:32 PM
Extra service charge for a custom installation...
Posted By: crash Re: What is This? ... - 11/13/03 12:33 AM
I have a question. Does the N.E.C allow splicing in LBs, can it be used as a general purpose junction box?

If yes, then I would call this "use of an LB as a juction box". This would bring up issues of internal box volume and maximum box fill. Removing the cover would probably reveal a code violation in these areas.

If No, then I would call this "modification of electrical equipment".(modifying a 2"LB to a 2"LB,LL3/4")

Does the N.E.C allow modification of electrical equipment without it being re-certified?
Posted By: stamcon Re: What is This? ... - 11/13/03 01:18 AM
Crash, an LB(conduit body) can contain splices, but the body can't be modified. The conduit body cubic inch capacity must be marked by the manufacturer in order to splice in it.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: What is This? ... - 11/13/03 01:50 AM
How would such a violation be corrected?

I assume a special box is already sold for that type of configuration or a reducing connector? Or do you feed the fat pipe into a junction box first to tap into the thinner pipe and then from the box to the elbow?

If not....how would you go about puting something like this together properly? [Linked Image]

Asking out of curiosity, not that I'm going to actually go out and do this for someone.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: What is This? ... - 11/13/03 02:11 AM
Sven,
i would imagine the conductors would need to be pulled out, and a proper JB installed
Posted By: stamcon Re: What is This? ... - 11/13/03 02:11 AM
Sven, a conventional junction box could be used. A tee condulet could also be installed in the horizontal run and the EMT rerouted over to it.

steve
Posted By: Spark Master Flash Re: What is This? ... - 11/27/03 05:05 AM
What article of the NEC does that violate? We drill holes in other boxes, etc. If it doesn't overstuff the LB, it doesn't seem like a bad move to me...can somebody educate me on this one?
Posted By: rizer Re: What is This? ... - 01/07/04 10:27 PM
your violation is probably in the UL listing
for the lb. you cannot modify its surface.
© ECN Electrical Forums