ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 02:57 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This stair receptacle caught my eye , just thought i'd pass it on, might be worth a chuckle to the crew...

Steve
aka sparky
Posted By: JCooper Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 03:03 AM
Well as long as you don't need to plug in an xfmr there..... looks good from my house......
Posted By: stamcon Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 03:51 AM
What's worse, the receptacle or what might be a J-box below it? [Linked Image]
Posted By: crash Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 04:14 AM
It was nice that someone marked the voltage on the outlet. Otherwise, how would we know?
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 04:56 AM
Look at the bottom receptacle of the duplex, it looks to me to be 250volt type, unless my eyes are failing me. Maybe that is why the top is marked 120v.

Pierre
Posted By: stamcon Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 08:22 AM
[Linked Image from plumbing.myexpernex.com]
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 05:06 PM
Is there such a device, NEMA 5-20 on top and NEMA 6-20 on bottom???? [Linked Image]

I think it's an optical illusion in the photo.

It also look like a concrete wall. Is this outside??? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Mean Gene (edited 10-27-2003).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 05:33 PM
Yes. That is a combo NEMA 5-20 (top for 120 volt 20 and 15 amp plugs) and a NEMA 6-20 (bottom for 240 volt 20 and 15 amp plugs).

Dual Voltage receptacles I've seen them called in one catalogue. Don't know if they're still manufactured. I've seen them primarily in old public buildings (especially one very old high school).

Looks like a wood or plasterboard wall to me. Look at the edges of those screw holes. They look like what's left after you take a screw out of a wooden panel or plasterboard with paper covering.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 10-27-2003).]
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 07:40 PM
Yea Sven, I guess you're right. The vertical line looked like the one that concrete forms leave behind, like in a basement.

How have the Dual Voltage receptacles that you have seen been wired, two separate circuits or both outlets wired off of one?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 07:54 PM
15A versions seem to be available still (NEMA 5-15 & 6-15). Try Leviton #5292.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 08:43 PM
Gene, I've never popped the cover off one of those things since it was never my place to do so. I've only seen them in passing (hallways, etc.) in other people's properties. Don't want to go poking around in what's not mine, you know. [Linked Image]

I understand what you mean about the concrete wall. What I've found amusing is sometimes how a poured concrete wall retains the ridges and graining of the plywood molds after the wood panels are taken off and the wall is painted. You look at it and you think someone painted over the wood instead of concrete.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/27/03 09:35 PM
I have one of those duplex outlets in the house. It takes 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground. The 120V portion is internally connected to one of the hots on the 240V outlet.

Is that set of stairs portable? That is, not attached to the building? Maybe this is in a school room (audiotorium) with a stage, and the kids in the wood shop made this to give easy access to get on the stage from the audience area? Then it would be the equivalent to furnature, like a bookcase that sits in front of an outlet, and thus not a violation?
Posted By: sparky Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/28/03 02:08 AM
guys, the receptacle is in a stairway of a antique (read;Vermont's version of a junk dealer) shop / apartment house.

the walls are plaster, it's inside, the stairs are not very well built, but intended permanent
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/29/03 12:44 AM
Correctly wired, the box will contain two (out of phase) hots and one neutral. The receptacle is constructed so that one side of the receptacle has two connected wire-mounting screws (as in a duplex), while the other side has two separated screws- one for the other hot, and one for the neutral. It is powered from a two-pole breaker; I understand current code to require either a handle tie, or an internal connection between the two trip mechanisms.

A common, inncorrect, unsafe method is to simply ground the neutral screw- usually with a piece of wire from the neutral screw to the ground screw. This method has all the neutral current flow through the mounting screws.
Posted By: crash Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/29/03 05:31 AM
So. What you guys are saying is the electrician should have marked 240 V (or 208 V) on the bottom half of the receptacle, and the 120 V on the to half is missleading ( as it indicates that both are 120 V). You better put a red tag on this!!

On secound thought, maybe the eletrician thougtht the stairway would make the bottom half to bo impractible to use, and therefore marking the bottom would not be neccessary.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Stair Receptacle - 10/29/03 07:17 AM
crash:

The rest of the house actually contains only 250v receptacles, so apparently it was necessary to label this one exception. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums