ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Where's the Pole? - 10/08/03 05:17 PM
[Linked Image]

This one runs at 480 volts, all night, every night!

-electure
Posted By: George Corron Re: Where's the Pole? - 10/09/03 12:28 AM
tough neighborhood, someone stole the pole and left the base. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Where's the Pole? - 10/15/03 05:10 PM
This is normal in the area served by our electrical utility when a street light is knocked over in an auto accident.

Just tape the conductors together and come back some time later and put a replacement pole in.

Last week there were two blocks in my part of the city that looked like this for a few days while the 30yr old poles were taken down and replaced with new ones.

If its a major street they "may" put a 4 foot pole stub over it for looks while they wait to replace it.
Posted By: Tir Re: Where's the Pole? - 10/18/03 05:28 PM
It goes without saying that the system in this picture should remain de-energized until the proper repairs can be made...but for those situations where this might not be possible a simple non-metalic I.E. "Carlon-PVC" box (part of bottom removed easily) and fastened to the concrete base by "band-straps" and 10 minutes of time could be what stands between life and death. Please tell me that whats shown in the picture would NEVER be left energized or in a postion to become energized without at least some sort of protection in place!.
Posted By: electure Re: Where's the Pole? - 10/22/03 12:13 PM
Tir, welcome to ECN!
As far as I know, this has been this way for a couple of years. I've tried to contact the owner to no avail. I guess the next stop is the AHJ.
The "underground box aboveground" idea is OK for a temporary fix.
I wouldn't want it to end up like this. though:
[Linked Image]
These cover the transformer's 12KV primaries. They're exposed to traffic, in a driveway.(What is this, a lineman's version of an extension box?)...S
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Where's the Pole? - 10/22/03 02:47 PM
I'm sorry, but I gotta say this.....

They look like LAUNDRY TUBS!!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Where's the Pole? - 10/23/03 12:06 AM
I've tried to contact the owner to no avail. I guess the next stop is the AHJ.

Find somebody who ordered too much concrete and have the extra dumped to make the boxes "underground."
© ECN Electrical Forums