ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Bad Temp Wiring - 09/27/03 03:06 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Photos sent in by Ryan_J

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 09-27-2003).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Bad Temp Wiring - 09/27/03 05:27 PM
These were some pic's I took yesterday. This box was plugged into a non-gfci protected 240V 50A receptacle outlet. When I picked this box up it weighed quite a lot more than I figured it should, and once I shook it I figured out why. It was about halfway full of dirt! I held it upside down and watch sand fall out of the receptacle contacts like it coming out of an hour glass!
Posted By: sparked Re: Bad Temp Wiring - 09/27/03 07:43 PM
That close-up of a receptacle you showed- was it possible to put a grounded plug in the outlet at the top? The caulk looks like it is blocking the ground pin hole. The rectangular knockouts look like they were designed for GFCIs but someone used Decoras instead!

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 09-27-2003).]
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Bad Temp Wiring - 09/27/03 08:34 PM
. . .plugged into a non-gfci protected 240V 50A receptacle outlet. . .
And #10 conductors in the cord, to boot ! ! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Bad Temp Wiring - 09/27/03 09:35 PM
Sparked: You are right about the GFCI slots with decora receptacles installed (they're a lot cheaper, you know!!!).

The close up receptacle ground probably couldn't allow a ground pin installed, but you want to anyway...that isn't a shadow in the corner it's a gaping hole in the receptacle! shocked
Posted By: sparked Re: Bad Temp Wiring - 09/27/03 09:48 PM
You're exactly right! I thought it was a shadow from that glob of caulk! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 09-27-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums