ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Scary Ladder Setup - 04/17/03 07:34 PM
[Linked Image]
Love your web site. Here is a guy working on a 3 phase sign, on a metal ladder that is tied to another ladder. If you look at the bottom of the picture a young lady is holding the ladder from sliding. Very Scary...

(Anonymous)
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/17/03 11:39 PM
I am working on a business sign this week.
Lazy as I am, I ask: wouldn't it be nice if signs were easily modified for maintenance?
Signs like the one in the picture would benefit from having pegs extending that ladder hooks (as you use on lines) could "catch." No more ladder sliding.
Signs that project from buildings over the sidewalk could easily be made so that the removal of a pin/bolt would allow you to swing the sign against the building. You could do your work either by leaning the ladder against the building, or while standing on the roof.
It'd be nice, wouldn't it?
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/18/03 12:44 AM
E-C.net readers know what happens if the tamales aren't new...

[Linked Image from 67.115.161.42]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/18/03 01:57 AM
Does that sign behind the ladders say "Dentistry"?.
That guy may want to jot that Phone No. down, in case the ladder does slip! [Linked Image]
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/18/03 05:16 PM
That ladder appears to have double rungs on both sides of the A. Is it 2 A frame ladders on top of each other or some type of ladder that is being used properly??
Posted By: n1ist Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/18/03 05:27 PM
It looks like two extension ladders, one leaning on the other. Hopefully they tied
the two together where they meet, but why do I have doubts...
Posted By: walrus Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/18/03 06:03 PM
I've worked on tons of signs, generally from a boom truck but sometimes off a ladder. I'd put the ladder right on the face of the sign before I'd do that A frame trick [Linked Image]. Why not lean the ladder on the side below the access hole the guy appears to be working in?. I actually think thats what happening and the other ladder is just laying there.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/18/03 11:56 PM
walrus,
I don't actually think that the ladder is touching the sign is it?.
It looks like there is a small gap between the head of the ladder and the sign surface,
unless, my eyes are playing tricks on me!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Zapped Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/19/03 01:13 AM
Where's his cape?
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/19/03 02:50 PM
Now I see. It looks like one extenstion ladder leaning on the sign. You can see the locks part way down. There is a second extetion ladder leaning on the first one. Perhaps part of the job required a helper below handing stuff up. Still not safe on the lower ladder.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/19/03 03:39 PM
Here's a closeup:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/19/03 05:51 PM
Admittedly, it takes experience to get your "sea legs" while working from an extension ladder. Then, there is the big argument whether a ladder is intended as a means of access versus work platform.

One thing that would bother me is having potentially live connections a few inches from your face...
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/23/03 12:20 AM
What is likely is that the second ladder was propped against the first, because the guy didn't like the "bounce" in the ladder.
The problem with this ides is that the top of the second ladder is now a "fulcrum", which means that his weight will tend to lift the feet of the first ladder- if his helper gets up! Broken back, here we come!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/23/03 01:11 AM
John,

I was thinking the same thing. I can almost feel that sign moving now ....

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/25/03 05:27 AM
Bill,
There is no way in H**l you would get me anywhere near a ladder setup like that, let alone get me to climb it, I like having my bones, like in one piece, you know. [Linked Image]
Posted By: frank Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/26/03 01:27 AM
I'd say wrong tool for the job he's using the short ladder to add sability to the longer one.He's worried it will slide off the side of the sign.Time for a cherry picker.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/26/03 08:23 PM
Here's another daring Ladder photo:

[Linked Image]

And, maybe 'daring' is too kind a word for this one:

[Linked Image]

Thanks to Bjarney for helping to find these.
Posted By: jbfan Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/27/03 12:34 AM
One thing you can say about these idiots. They are resoruceful!! Not sure if I coulf come up with these ideas
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/27/03 07:05 AM
Couldn't they afford a Cherry-Picker or Bucket Truck?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/27/03 07:58 PM
On the “mobile toothpick ladder” image, I wonder how they were able to originally install the metal luminaire pole?

Note that, like in the original tamale-sign picture, another human counterweight is holding on at the ladder base. Studying the last picture, doesn’t it almost look like the homemade “ladder” was falling apart the moment picture was taken?

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 04-27-2003).]
Posted By: Scotts Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/28/03 06:08 PM
The sad part is that all of these guys think the are so smart for thinking up a way to get the job done.
Scott
Posted By: cubby964 Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/28/03 06:44 PM
I wonder:

To save time, did they leave the guy at the top of the ladder and drive the truck to the next pole?
Posted By: electure Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 04/29/03 11:33 PM
I think the most scary part about this is that the sign might not be turned off. This goofball might be troubleshooting it hot, and maybe doesn't even know.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 05/02/03 08:02 PM
Bill,
Regarding the picture with the ladder in the shovel of the bull-dozer....

Nice SHORTS!! ROTFLMAO!!!! [Linked Image]

Who in blazes wears short-shorts to a CONSTRUCTION SITE????? damn!!!

And I think that's a cowboy hat the guy on the ladder is wearing instead of a helmet.

Now....do you know if the guy standing on the makeshift scaffolding above the garbage truck is a municipal worker or was this some private yokel changing the bulb on the fixture?
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 05/02/03 08:51 PM
Re: the lashed together scaffolding on the back of the truck..

Was this picture taken in China by any chance? I visited there a few years ago (pre-SARS [Linked Image]), and was saw some of the most amazing (and downright scary!) scaffolding on construction sites in and around Beijing. A mixture of steel pipes (for supports) and bamboo poles for decking and crossmembers, all lashed together with rope! Some stuff looked remarkably like that picture.

I have some pictures of some electrical installations there, mostly pole transformers and residential service entrances in and around the Shamian Island area of Guangzhou. Have to dig them out of the closet and post a few scans here...
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 05/05/03 03:27 PM
I've seen scaffolding made out of bamboo and wood plank in Colombia. Keep in mind that bamboo is pretty strong. It's mostly used when building one- and two-family houses. Higher buildings built by professinal construction firms use steel scaffolds.

I've seen all-wood scaffolding here in New York City in a few cases.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 05-05-2003).]
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 06/15/03 04:40 AM
Discounting how poorly trained these individuals are, THESE PICTURES MADE ME LAUGH TILL I CRIED!!!!!! THEY HAVE TO BE FROM A COMEDY MOVIE, NOT EVEN BRAIN DEAD PEOPLE WOULD REALLY DO THIS... WOULD THEY?
I KNOW, THE CIRCUS CAME TO TOWN.

I especially love the comments!!! Do you ever wonder why we need codes and OSHA.

Pierre
Posted By: iwire Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 06/15/03 10:33 AM
Sven

Who in blazes wears short-shorts to a CONSTRUCTION SITE????? damn!!!

And I think that's a cowboy hat the guy on the ladder is wearing instead of a helmet.

Hey Sven be nice [Linked Image] club dates for the Village People have slowed down and now the cowboy has to sidejob.

On the cowboy hat maybe it was one of these ANSI certified hard hats.

[Linked Image from abcsafetymart.com]

Finally, a hard hat designed for the true cowboy - the perfect alternative to conventional hard hats. These hats combine the classic cowboy hat look in an ANSI-certified hat...

Specifications:
Lightweight ABS plastic is durable enough for the rugged jobs. Cowboy hat shape provides sun and weather protection for your face, neck and ears. Adjustable sweatband and four point suspension for all-day comfort...

Comliance:
ANSI Z89.1-1986, Class A
http://www.abcsafetymart.com/hhats/cowboy-hard-hats04.html#a
Posted By: pauluk Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 06/15/03 12:25 PM
Barnum & Bailey Electrical Contractors! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Admin Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 10/15/04 11:47 PM
Another scary Ladder Pic from Dave55:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 10/16/04 12:43 AM
Sometimes an extension ladder just won't do. They do "Power Washing".

Dave
Posted By: electure Re: Scary Ladder Setup - 10/16/04 01:15 AM
But Dave,

Wouldn't be easier, cheaper, and a little safer to just use a longer handle for the wand?? [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums