ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Out to get me ! - 04/04/03 01:54 AM
[Linked Image]
I was up on an aluminum coated roof on a rainy day, after being asked to repair a 277V floodlight that wasn't working. Red Flag was the cord /connector. Opened the cover and Voila!

I'd sure like to find the "electrician" that did this
...Scott (Electure)
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Out to get me ! - 04/04/03 02:19 AM
What looks like a high-performance weep hole begs the question, "Was it ½ full or ½ empty?"
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Out to get me ! - 04/04/03 11:54 AM
Most people don't know that you can increase the ampacity of your conductors if they're water cooled.
Posted By: electure Re: Out to get me ! - 04/04/03 01:44 PM
My concern is more with the unterminated ground wire from the fixture, via the cord.
Scenario:
Some unwary soul goes to troubleshoot this fixture (maybe take a voltage test).
If there was a winding to core short in the ballast (which would have gone on undetected indefinitely without a ground connection)...well, then

What would be the end result???
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Out to get me ! - 04/04/03 03:39 PM
Ah,

I thought you were attacked by insects here.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Out to get me ! - 04/04/03 04:31 PM
Electure:
Bitten once, know what you mean.
I make it a "habit" to always carry a non-contact voltage detector. I check the fixture housings before I touch them. This is a common problem. "The green wire don't do anything" mentality. 277 volt jolts are not a good thing.
John
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Out to get me ! - 04/05/03 12:07 AM
HotLine,
Tell me about it!.
Man, this could be really dangerous on a wet Metallic roof.
Some-one needs a damn good kicking, for this one!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Out to get me ! - 04/05/03 09:12 AM
hotline1 : try to deal with 480 unground fixures they are my top of worst type of fixure to deal with it especally on wooden post i got "hit " with it before.... and i have a habit to use non concat voltage tester almost everywhere i go now including home area i have work on metel box and somecase have hot and nutureal or ground wire revresed that is spooky i really hate it grrrrrrrrrr

merci marc
© ECN Electrical Forums