ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Extension Power Strips - 02/07/03 04:05 PM
[Linked Image]
I don't know if you have seen this one, but, you should like it!

- Cubby964
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/07/03 06:28 PM
That looks like awfully thin power cable. What is it...like 16AWG x 3? Geez....why go through all that trouble and waste of money?
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/08/03 11:43 AM
Yeah, probably 16 AWG.
Looks like the "Pro version" of the 3-outlet-to-6-outlet-16AWG-SPT2-extension cord conversion I've seen. They just left out the box but twisted and taped the wires. One seen in a friend's kitchen and one at a high school. Just took 2 of the $1 16AWG zip cord things with 3 outlets andf modified as mentioned above.
Maybe it's imported stuff which uses 3x1.5 mm2 cable with rather skinny insulation [Linked Image]
Would be the typical cord for such power strips here in Europe, rated 230V, 16A. (Ratings of stranded are one fuse/breaker size higher than solid, i.e. 1.5 solid = 10A, 1.5 stranded = 16A)
Posted By: energy7 Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/10/03 08:57 PM
Those C.A. power strips come with a 3 foot 14/3 cord. Whoever built this destroyed the UL listing by opening up the strips. If they show up around here, it's another "remove subSTD, hazardous" writeup under 110-3. {Seems like most of the photos posted come under 110-3, don't they?).
Posted By: Redsy Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/11/03 12:39 PM
Probably assembled by a "handy maintenance man" who was proud as a peacock of his own ingenuity.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/11/03 04:39 PM
The only "repair work" I've ever done on power strips is to replace the male plug when the original molded-on pins break off and bend. I use the metal-encased armored type NEMA 5-15 caps.

Once I replaced the switch on one strip at home. It was an old Archer/Radio Shack power strip in a metal case, designed to be repairable.

However, if the cord gets cut, worn or frayed, the entire device goes in the trash. The new piece of cord and strain relief probably cost more than the entire thing would.

We have some "CA" brand strips at work. They came with 6 feet of #14 AWG x 3/type SJT cord.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/11/03 04:48 PM
That there is amateur stuff.

Wasted space!

Shouldda put 2 duplex receptacles instead of a blank face plate on the J-box!

Then there would be 20 outlets instead of only 16.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/11/03 11:49 PM
On the positive side:
-The power strips are not "daisy chained,"
-Power strips, unlike simple receptacles installed in 4S boxes, have overload protection;
-This guy made some attampt at providing strain relief.

Finally, this guy was almost certainly trying to solve a problem created by building, and appliance, designers who did the minimum possible.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/12/03 05:51 AM
Is that a hospital grade plug?
Posted By: mamills Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/12/03 02:53 PM
Th first thing that went through my mind when I saw this was the thread Joe ran a short time ago, talking about 1900 boxes, handy boxes, etc. being used in extension cords.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: LK Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/13/03 01:32 AM
I know what is wrong with this picture. It has 2 Power strips. Anyone can see the box has more holes to put more strips in. Hay you could power at least 10 Office cubes with this. Just ask the Building manager.
A little know how burns a big building
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/14/03 05:10 AM
Another way he could have built this
would be to run both cables into the
male plug. Twist the stranded wires
of both wires (both whites, both blacks,
and both greens separately of course)
and then insert into
the clamping mechanisms of the male
plug. Probably a violation to
do that, though. But there'd be no
box to get kicked around.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/14/03 05:53 AM
WA2ISE:
Another way he could have built this
would be to run both cables into the
male plug.

The Brits actually sell a plug designed for just that!! [Linked Image]

It's a white box with multiple terminals inside (kind of like a wall-wart in appeareance). I think you can connect up to 5 or so appliances to it.

Believe it's designed for things like hi-fi component rack systems (separate record player, cassette deck and radio) so you can plug them all into one outlet but you aren't expected to be unplugging them. Sure beats using a triple-tap!!

Maybe pauluk can elaborate on what I mentioned.... Paul? [Linked Image]
Posted By: ccdave Re: Extension Power Strips - 02/20/03 04:56 PM
tHHEY COULD HAVE ADDED TWO DUPLEXES TO THE 4S BOX AND HAD MORE
© ECN Electrical Forums