ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky66wv Name the violations... - 11/05/02 04:32 PM
[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

With this job, I've decided to take Electricmanscott's attitude and advice, and not make myself deal with garbage like this.

I hate rescue jobs... Shoulda hired me in the first place... They owe me $450 for the work I've done so far, but they can keep it if I never have to go back to the place.

GRRRRR!!

[Linked Image]

So, name the violations...

Bill, is there a good reason that we can't post threads like this in the "Photos Submitted" Section? Without bothering you with it, I mean...
Posted By: n1ist Re: Name the violations... - 11/05/02 04:54 PM
In both cases, there is more than 1/4 inch gap around the boxes. The wires are too short in the round box (not 6") and there is crud on the ground and hot wires. In the second picture, that's an old work box improperly secured with a drywall screw. There is too much sheath in the box and I'm not sure there is 6" total wire in there.
The two grounds should also be tied together and the white wires in the switch legs need to be reidentified.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Name the violations... - 11/05/02 08:43 PM
Looks like three way switches also.Not enough wires to make that work.

I agreee with n1ist on everything else...and you for walking away from this.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Name the violations... - 11/05/02 08:57 PM
Hey 66:
Had a "rough" inspection like that last week. I agree with you, WALK. (Unless it's financially interesting)
On another note, what do you think of:
8 cubic inch plastic nail on "box".
1-#14 RX.
Asked the EC how he planned on getting the device in??? And left him a red sticker.
Quality work???

John
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Name the violations... - 11/05/02 10:11 PM
Oh great. Now I'll be responsible if you go out of business. I knew my attitude would cause trouble . I just thought it would be my trouble.
Posted By: sparky Re: Name the violations... - 11/06/02 01:20 AM
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Name the violations... - 11/06/02 03:53 AM
...WALK. (Unless it's financially interesting)...

John, Donnie and Electricmanscott, here's the kicker... On the second and last day I was there, they had the gaul to argue about my price, and then told me they were losing money at $300 per day.

I figured I'd better just go home, count my losses, and move on.

I've been rehearsing a speech for when the fool calls me back...

"...I do high quality work. I do not wish to be invlovled with this unless you give me an offer I can't turn down. And then, I want it all up front before I even start."

Did ya teach me good?

[Linked Image]

N1ist, good eye! The box is fastened with roofing nails not screws, which is even worse (I realize it's kinda hard to make out in the pic)...

Steve! 110.12, My favorite code!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-05-2002).]
Posted By: Jacuzzi Guy Electric Re: Name the violations... - 11/17/02 07:51 AM
If I was you, then I would just let the customer know, that those two items involve an extreme amount of labor. And that you want to pass on them. Get your money for the rest of the work and deduct these two.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Name the violations... - 11/17/02 06:44 PM
Actually, I've never went back, they can keep what they owe me if they promise to never call me again!

This was a small example. EVERYTHING in the house (electrically) has at least one violation. EVERYTHING!

I haven't been back, and I don't plan to...
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Name the violations... - 11/18/02 12:55 AM
Hey 66:
Was/is this disaster a "permitted job"???
Am I correct that in some of the areas that you work in, permits are not required/available???
(Thought I saw that in a post somewhere.)
John
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Name the violations... - 11/18/02 01:59 AM
Grey area...

Just out of the city limits of Beckley, no permits or inspections that I know of, I'm not sure of Fayette Co. requires them...

I didn't stick around long enough for it to be a problem.
Posted By: rhagfo Re: Name the violations... - 11/18/02 02:12 AM
I hope this was a "Homeowner" job and not someone who claimed to be in the trade!! Wondering was this a new house or just an addition??
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Name the violations... - 11/18/02 02:49 AM
I'm led to believe that three different "electricians" were there before me...

But the number of flying splices, short conductors, lack of staples, crowded condulets and pipe, and EGCs with no crimp or wirenut (just twisted), tell me that the "electricians" weren't quite what we think of when we say "electricians"...

Plus, the burnt buss in the panel from errant EGCs was a little scary... Burnt across 240V! (Murray panel) [Linked Image]

One even said he'd wire it for $1200...

I told them I couldn't supply materials for that, and the service alone would cost that much...

That's about the time they wanted to argue about my price, and I decided to split...
Posted By: ken m Re: Name the violations... - 12/06/02 01:33 AM
when you see exposed work like this it makes you wonder what's behind the walls! liability worries would make me walk before the $$$issue. ken m
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Name the violations... - 12/07/02 04:03 AM
Virgil,

Does the Owner realize how bad this is?

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 12-06-2002).]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Name the violations... - 12/07/02 04:43 AM
Virgil,

Besides the horrible electrical work, what kind of sheetrocker cuts a square hole for a round box?!?!

This is awful!!
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Name the violations... - 12/07/02 05:19 AM
I tried to express how horrible this all is, but I get the impression that half the time, I'm not taken seriously.

This house is in the same area that the "taped up splices in the million dollar home guy" lives. Lots of ex-mining electricians (no offense to the good ones) and little to no enforcement of code.

I've looked at two jobs in this area and I doubt I'll consider any more. Ironically, it's a much bigger city than Lewisburg, but of much less quality standards.

Man, I'm wishing I had billed these guys now.

It might be worth the lack of a paper trail to me though, liability-wise.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nesparky Re: Name the violations... - 12/07/02 06:01 PM
If it not been more tha 30 days send them a bill for electrical trouble shooting. Also state that the previously installed electrical work is not up to code and may be unsafe. Send them an estimate to completly rewire the place. If the don't pay send these pictures to there insurance company.
Posted By: spyder Re: Name the violations... - 12/07/02 06:16 PM
Send them a letter that states the violations. If they don't want to hire you to fix them, then thats there poor decision. At least you will be covered.
Posted By: classicsat Re: Name the violations... - 12/09/02 09:27 PM
Unless it's against code, there is no practical reason not to use a 3-way switch in place of a regular toggle in a pinch.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Name the violations... - 12/10/02 03:14 AM
It's a bit like the "ashtray on a motorcycle" phenomenon, and may be a violation of 404.7 and perhaps 110.3(b).

Anyone's guess?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-09-2002).]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Name the violations... - 12/10/02 03:48 AM
I don't think using a 3-way in place of a single pole constitutes much of a safety hazard, listing violations aside.

'66, I'm still wondering, who did the sheetrock? Please tell me it wasn't a professional!

And that old/new work box! That's an original! The ridiculous part is, a 2-gang new work box costs less than half of an old work.

Anyway, I still can't get over these pictures, and some of the nightmares you described! What crap!

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 12-09-2002).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Name the violations... - 12/10/02 05:17 AM
CT, I really don't think that anyone on the entire crew could realistically be classified as "professional".

[Linked Image]

(Wait 'til you see my next group of pix...
The lawyer wants me to add a transfer switch to his brand new home that an inspector wired... Was there Saturday to look it over and get a materials list... You won't believe it! More tomorrow night in a new thread... Stay tuned!)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Name the violations... - 12/10/02 01:27 PM
Concerning the switch: European manufacturers have stopped producing single pole switches years ago. So 3ways are the only available switches. Maybe it's a listing violation in the US, but it's definitely the norm in this part of the world.
Posted By: Inspector Grump Re: Name the violations... - 01/05/03 02:44 PM
That's because inspectors get the red sticker free, inspectors have to pay for the whie ones. See too many jobs like this
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Name the violations... - 01/05/03 03:52 PM
sparky66wv...nice job..you no,for only 10 bucks you can email [ mr electrician ]lol

let's see....name a violation.. hummmmmm
ok..how about the white wire on the single pole switch..not mark with black tape and looks like it's on backwards on the screw too

you have to wander where is the feed.
© ECN Electrical Forums