ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Pool Light Switch Location - 10/07/02 02:07 AM
[Linked Image]
Have you ever seen a switch located here?The circuit was routed thru a bell box at pool pump location so switch will be relocated there.

-(anonymous)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/07/02 03:41 AM
Cute; no I haven't come across one of these yet. Very interesting. I wonder if the box is a compliant deck box??

John
Posted By: txsparky Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/07/02 03:47 AM
New homeowner could not figure out why pool light wouldn't work.I found this switch while checking for powera at deck box,which is also under the diving board.
What could have been going through someones mind to install a switch here??
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/07/02 03:57 AM
Q: What could have been going through someones mind to install a switch here??

A: <evil doer laugh>"Muahahahahaha!!!!"</evil doer laugh>

(Sabotage?)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/10/02 03:23 PM
They wanted to turn the diving board off?

I hope that box is water-proofed or something. What are people thinking when they plan things like this out?

Makes me think twice about getting into hotel swimming pools. Scary stuff.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/10/02 04:52 PM
Really makes me want to lift that pot-metal cover and pinch the switch handle—while standing in a puddle to boot.

I wonder if treated pool water is significantly different in shock propagation compared to faucet water?
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/10/02 11:59 PM
Location almost makes sense, because the switch is sheltered from splashes (board acts like an umbrella), and there is no trip
hazard. It's even possible that the 5' rule is met! We might ask why the switch need not be GFI protected (GFI protection determined by light location), when a receptacle 9.9' away does need a GFI.
As to conductivity: pool chemicals are sure to make pool water a much better conductor than tap water.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/14/02 04:55 AM
This is the panel that feeds the switch
[Linked Image from pages.sbcglobal.net]

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 10-14-2002).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/14/02 08:34 PM
The white wires onto the breakers struck me at first, but looking down the right hand side, is that actually bare EGCs from the Romex connected to breaker terminals as well? [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/14/02 09:14 PM
Looks kinda like the EGC's and the grounding conductors are tucked away on a buss beneath the breakers on each side.

No GFCI for any circuits for the pool? No identifier for the noodle? Pretty careless workmanship.

What are those blue things in there?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: txsparky Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/14/02 10:47 PM
The gfci for the pool light is via a receptacle at the pool equipment.No gfci protection for the pump.The bare grounds are connected to the neutral bar.The blue is actually phasing tape that it appears someone used to identify the white as a phase conductor.

How about the service entrance ?conductors.The rigid nipple from the meter can is about 2 inches too short.
Posted By: gary long Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/15/02 02:17 AM
It looks sort of like a Home Depot display !!
Posted By: Scotts Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/15/02 04:25 PM
The bare wires are pretty scary, But what is that black rectangle in the bottom of the panel. It looks like a radio shack transformer. Could it possibly be for low voltage wiring? If so how are the wires attached to the plug? It looks like there are two wires that are electrical taped onto the plugs.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Pool Light Switch Location - 10/15/02 07:44 PM
scotts,
That's a surge suppressor laying in the bottom of the panel.It's goes to 2 single pole 20 amp breakers.Flush mount panel,guess the installer was at a loss as to where to install it.
© ECN Electrical Forums