ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Drilled Hole - 09/13/02 01:19 AM
[Linked Image]
Here is something I ran across today. There is about a 1/4" hole drilled into the side of this panel with 3 # 12 "s going out to a receptacle in a handy box. Good one for the violation forum.

-Nick
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Drilled Hole - 09/13/02 02:18 AM
While I can't cite the specifics, almost every UL standard I've seen refers to two
principles: mechanical damage and strain relief.
A simple plastic bushing, or a chase nipple, would suffice to protect these wires from being damaged by rubbing against the hole.
Being internal to the enclosure, I don't think there's a need for a strain relief fitting- though a "romex" connector might provide that.
Since this is already installed, the easiest thing is to install a plastic bushing, by first cutting one side.
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Drilled Hole - 09/17/02 05:10 AM
about a 1/2" of scotch 33 would work. what?
Posted By: txsparky Re: Drilled Hole - 09/17/02 08:27 PM
I would have used a 1/2" chase nipple.Would also break the ends of those screws off that the box is mounted with(there is already enough places in a panel to get cut or scraped without adding to it)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Drilled Hole - 09/17/02 11:25 PM
Is that a black, red & white #12 entering?
If so, I guess the "green wire" wouldn't fit thru the hole. Also, what's in the handi box, and what size is it?? (Possible fill problem) Definite red sticker job>
John
© ECN Electrical Forums