ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin PVC Spider Web - 07/15/02 09:00 PM
Went to change a service and found this. The owner was an engineer, I dont know, but I suspect he must have been under some influence when he did this.

Alan
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/16/02 03:50 AM
Gotta be glue fumes {in all those tight quarters.}
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/16/02 04:02 AM
Nobody could be THAT stupid could they??
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/16/02 10:17 AM
I guess you guys don't appreciate a fine sculpture!
Posted By: Redsy Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/16/02 11:28 AM
I bet he was "proud as a peacock" after he finished.
Posted By: golf junkie Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/16/02 10:19 PM
I could make some comments about a "typical engineer".......but I won't go there. [Linked Image]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/16/02 11:36 PM
Wow:
Must be a counter guy at a supply house that picked out all the fittings & sweeps.
Guess the installer don't have a hot box.

Or could it have been "self-service" at the orange apron big box store????

HotLine1
John
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/17/02 01:14 AM
Or maybe that really is a spider web from one of those " Eight Legged Freaks "?????

[Linked Image]
Posted By: spkjpr Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/17/02 02:25 AM
Gotta agree with golfjunkie.
Posted By: arseegee Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/17/02 02:50 AM
Lets see, $58.97 for the condulets and $1.97 for the jelly jar light. This guy should be an estimator!
Posted By: George Corron Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/17/02 10:18 AM
Man, You guys are all messed up!!! Have't you ever heard of "Arranged to Drain" [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/17/02 09:57 PM
Gee, and I was worried that the conduit I just installed in a workshop looked ugly because I couldn't get it exactly lined up with the crooked out-of-whack brickwork!

If I'd known some people were getting ready for a PVC knitting contest...... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/17/02 10:32 PM
That arrangement should win first place in the local orange-apron electrical layout contest. Might even win the state-level competition...

{To the shadetree wireman's credit, I don’t see any obvious water-pipe fittings.}

Nail-polish remover fumes would have been cheaper.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/18/02 02:19 AM
Got to love those engineers!
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/18/02 04:20 AM
Home Depot and Lowes must smack their lips when they see these people coming. [Linked Image]
When you say engineer you must mean a train engineer and he was just trying to replicate the crossroads of the tracks at work. :P

[This message has been edited by elektrikguy (edited 07-18-2002).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/18/02 01:28 PM
Careful, Let's not stress the Engineer angle too much please! [Linked Image]

I have seen many who are heavy on theory but light on the practical side of things, but it wouldn't be fair to suggest that is the norm though. (our Engineers can feel free to toss in a Light Bulb joke here for equilibrium)

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: George Corron Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/18/02 10:32 PM
Bill,
Bummer, ya shoulda told me before I sent it to all the engineers at work [Linked Image] Actually most take it very good naturedly, I usually rag on em about being over priced secretaries (excuse me, admin assistants) anyway. They do, ahem, occasionally get their digs in to, but I ain't tellin'.

BTW, new checks in the mail, drawn on a communist block country bank. I'm SURE this one will clear. [Linked Image]
Posted By: circuit man Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/18/02 10:59 PM
hey this is good! it even might win a artaward. LOL!
Posted By: motor-T Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/19/02 12:39 AM
Is this what they mean by a ' Neat workmanlike manner' ?

arseegee: LOL, aint that the truth.

-Mark-
Posted By: joeh20 Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/19/02 12:17 PM
I'll bet a $1 he pulled 14/3nm or sj cord thru it all.
Posted By: mamills Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/19/02 03:36 PM
I guess one of the few positive things you could say about this is that someone has enough snap to be using a fiberglass ladder
(maybe it's the POCO getting ready to terminate service...?).

The way some of those ells are positioned, it kinda reminds me of the spit valves on my son's trumpet. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 07-19-2002).]
Posted By: Trainwire Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/22/02 09:53 AM
maybe he's just a member of the Swedish Weaving team [Linked Image]
Posted By: wayne Re: PVC Spider Web - 09/04/02 11:52 PM
ONE THING ABOUT IT GUYS, GVE THE MAN CREDIT, HE KNOW'S/CAN INSTALL PVC PIPE. MAYBE NOT THE WAY WE ARE ACCUSTOM TO IT.
I KNOW THERE ARE SOME EC OUT THERE THAT CAN NOT INSTALL IT ANY WAY. HAD TO JUMP IN AND GIVE THE GUY CREDIT WHERE CREDITS DUE.

I DIDNT SAY THAT I WOULD APPROVE IT. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sean WB Re: PVC Spider Web - 09/17/02 05:09 AM
hope the plumbers in the area are a little more bright than that, mybe they will tap it to run a sprinkler system?
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/21/05 05:11 PM
If you're not supposed to put so many conduits in one box, there wouldn't be so many knockouts [Linked Image] (or whatever they're called in outdoor boxes), or wait, did he break out the drill???

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 07-21-2005).]
Posted By: Tiger Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/21/05 08:41 PM
Twelve pull els and two support straps.

It must have been a T&M job.

His motto?

Yesterday I couldn't spell electrician...
Now I is one!

Dave

SPELLING

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 07-21-2005).]
Posted By: Hemingray Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/22/05 06:23 AM
whoa, what the....
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/22/05 03:26 PM
when I first glanced at this, I thought my "pipeline" screen saver was interfering with the photo [Linked Image]
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/22/05 04:04 PM
I suspect someone is pulling our legs here...

I'm thinking that after the pictures where taken, the unglued pieces of pipe that make up this art object were pulled apart, and all the fittings returned to their respective bins in the van.

I think this because there is no point to this "spider web" of pipe--a lot of it just goes around in circles.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 07-22-2005).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/22/05 10:06 PM
The quality of engineers just like electricians is variable from genius down to complete chumps Scott Adams in his book The Dilbert Principle had a poke at us engineers claiming we had no social graces at all and drew an engineer called Boron the most boring man in the entire universe who bored an entire Marketing Department to death talking about assynchronous protocols Blah Blah Blah Blah Blither Blah Blah Blah Blah Blither Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blither Blah Blither Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Bah Blah the bulb would not screw in at all then I discovered the idiots had put two little pins on the cap so I got my needle file set out and got to work well it only took me five hours but eventually I filed a good fit in the thread after I used the rifflers on it I got a complete set of No 2 thro 8 rifflers they're brilliant for fine work getting the radius on the end of the pins was the hardest bit I got a good mind to write a stiff letter to the factory its a disgrace it would never have happened in my day its all these imports we got plenty of good engineers here Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blither Blah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blither Blah Blah.
Alan, GCE O level Eng.Lang., Eng.Lit., Math, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, History, Geography, Religeous Studies, Art; GCLI: CP4[Mech. Eng.]; CGLI: T5[Mech. Eng.]; HNC[Mech. Eng.], Dip.Mech.Eng.[Warwick]; 20 yards Swimming Certificate (breast stroke) [Linked Image]
Edited for spelling and grammatical errors Blah Blah Blah continued on page 94......

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 07-22-2005).]
Posted By: alan bergold Re: PVC Spider Web - 07/25/05 05:34 AM
NO this is real i took it myself east meadow long island about 3 years ago. its probably still there...
Posted By: sberry27 Re: PVC Spider Web - 08/13/05 03:50 PM
All the pictures are great but this one struck me as the funniest I have seen in a while. Reminds me of an engineer friend of mine, I went over while he was building some shelves,,, I had to remind him not to give up his day job as he wasnt going to make it as a builder.
Posted By: lil suzi Re: PVC Spider Web - 08/14/05 09:49 PM
What the........??!
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: PVC Spider Web - 08/17/05 12:49 AM
My brother and I were called into a factory for a couple of weeks to help them meet some deadlines on some conveyer machines that had to ship out right away. They needed 1" & 2" RMC run to the various motors along the contraption and there was no room for sweeps. Everything was condulets. It was wierd at first, but after we got used to it, it turned out pretty well.

I can imagine this guy was exposed somewhere to this being normal, and he's probably quite proud.
© ECN Electrical Forums