Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/19/01 11:03 PM
Excellent Grounding Continuity though!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/19/01 11:36 PM
Joe,

It was the Plumber!
I thought you were a better guesser than that! [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: George Corron Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/20/01 12:04 AM
And you DIDN'T get a picture of the bend ??????
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/20/01 12:27 AM
The handy box has four empty KO's, so there's room for four more cables, right?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/20/01 01:05 AM
Would you reconsider the use of the copper pipe, since it maybe of the type that will comply with rules in Article 680 where "brass or other approved corrosion-resistant metal" is allowed to be used for the wiring methods for some systems.

Search for the term "conduit" and look at the many entries in that Article
Posted By: electure Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/21/01 11:54 AM
Even plumbers are required to strap their pipe!
There's only one strap visible in this whole mess!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/21/01 12:41 PM
George,

I think the bend was OK,
What I would've liked to check was if the cuts were made with a pipe-cutter and if there was a sharp edge inside.

Joe,

You mean this might be OK?
what about the size itself? This conduit is a bit smaller than our Electrical conduit and doesn't fit in the connectors quite right.

Bill
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/21/01 03:53 PM
Bill:

Naturally, I would not permit the material you show, but would permit the same material if it was equal in the ID and had threads as any of the Table 4, Chapter 9 wiring methods.
Posted By: Phil H Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/23/01 01:18 AM
Bill,

I don't think you mean to criticize the plumbing trade. In my opinion, the guy who installed this may call himself a plummr, but I would not call him a qualified plumber. The workmanship stinks. I love the hose bib over the switch(?). If that gauge is as crooked as it looks rather than photographic distortion, it would be the same as installing a remodel box crooked. Who ever ran those cables and installed this has absolutely no respect for or knowledge of workmanship. I live in the land of hot air heat so I am not familiar with those furnaces but there are somethings that do not look right,like the way that relief valve is installed. I could go on and on about an abundance of under qualified people in the plumbing trade. Sometimes I wonder if the big franchises or local licensing are the problem. By the way, a qualified plumber always reams the inside of pipe to remove sharp edges, restrictions and burrs which would cause turbulence inside the pipe which leads to erosion. I'll step off my high horse now, I am just tired of seeing trucks running around with plumbing, heating, electrical, and air-conditioning with jacks of all s. . . and masters of nothing behind the wheel. Saw one the other day with plumbing, electrical, roofing and painting on the side. Sorry about venting.

Joe,
Half kidding, I wonder if you would accept the copper if they soldered on 1/2" male adapters and used locknuts.

Phil H
Posted By: electure Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/23/01 02:12 AM
Phil,
Did the "disservice" truck you saw have a big picture of the company owner's head on the side?? This particularly gripes me [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/23/01 02:13 AM
>the way that relief valve is installed.
You have sharp eyes. That valve should be where the upturned ell is.
But perhaps it does double duty as an air purge in this installation.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/23/01 02:25 AM
Phil:

No, but maybe the person who did this job would do that. I was always amazed at the way in which electricians became electrical contractors in your state .. sit for 40 hours, over and over viewing a video ... until they passed the C-10 test. Is it still that way, and are plumbers licensed in the valley?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/24/01 03:43 AM
Phil,

No, I do not mean to criticize other Trades or Tradsemen in general. It is a fact that in all trades there are many that dabble outside their trade and do things that they are not totally qualified for, and use materials they are familiar with. It's like a Signature. [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: electure Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/24/01 12:07 PM
C'mon, Joe, you're making it sound like the CA contractor's test is given by Siskel & Ebert. There are prerequisites that must be met before even applying for the test. I think the "video" license schools are available in most of the states, they're not a CA only phenomenom. For the requirements in any of the 50 states, try www.contractors-license.org
There's been a law passed here (due to come into effect 2002)that will require anyone working in the electrical trades to be tested and certified. Even folks holding a C-10 will be required to pass the test or they won't even be legal to replace a light switch. CA also has a "business and law" section on the contractor's test; what other states have that?
When one meets all the qualifications, they then can go into business in the most highly regulated (try our Title 24 energy regs!), red tape laden, code inconsistent state in the Union. You can have 180° interpretations/codes just by crossing the street.

In comparison, try Pennsylvania, Illinois, Kansas, or Missouri. You can write "Elektricul Contrakter" on the side of their car with a Crayola and you is one. Wipe off the Crayon and write "Plumr" the next day.

CA plumbers are still a C-36. You know everybody must be licensed here.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/24/01 02:21 PM
electure:

You are so right, and I agree 100%. I was talking about my time in California as an electrical inspector for the City of Glendale and Pasadena in the early 70's.

I can remember when I met a "brand new" electrical contractor on the job where he used a No. 14 AWG as the GEC for a 4-meter, 200 ampere 120/240 volt, single phase service!

I never did tell him what the violation was and he couldn't figure it out until about a week or so.

You want me to put up some pictures of some of the work I found in your state back then?

I am happy to see the State pass the law about licensing, it is about time, and as far as the other states .. well we know that it is probably related to some political influence and "wannabe group" or the almighty $$$

Peace!
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/24/01 08:45 PM
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/Violations/Submissions/UncoveredLB.jpg

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-04-2002).]
Posted By: electure Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/24/01 10:22 PM
Folks, I meant no disrespect to any of you knowledgeable guys from the abovementioned states. You just don't have the legislative backup to keep nincompoops from masquerading as your brethren. I realize my post sounded kind of harsh.
Joe, this testing is going to be the best thing to come out of our eco-nut, Birkenstock wearin', peacenik government yet!
Up until this, there's been absolutely nothing to stop a contractor from hiring a green 18 yr old, declaring him a foreman, and turning him loose on the public. It's about time for some accountability.
Please do post those pics. I hope I don't recognize any as something I did. I pulled some real boners! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 08-24-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/25/01 11:33 AM
There has to be some checks and balances for our trade, some form of accountability. The real 'harsh reality' is not electure's post, it is the 300+ electrocutions a yr.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Guess who Wired This? - 08/30/01 12:17 AM
Looking at an IAEI comment:

>
[*]solder alone is not considered by UL to be sufficient to provide both mechanical and electrical integrity;

That is to say, it is either/or?

I guess plumbers need to install a jumper around every soldered fitting.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Guess who Wired This? - 09/03/01 07:35 PM
Here in Nebraska the state electrical says "no one for another can do any electrical work without bieng a licensee of the act (journeyman, master/contractor). Apprentices are registered not a license.
This applies with or without pay. It is a class one misdemeanor punishable by $1000.00 fine or one year in jail or both to violate the act or to tell someone to violate the act. Also the legislature adopts the NEC latest version every 3 years-usually about july of the year concerned-into state law.
Now if we could just get the DAs and judges off their rear ends.!!!
the only cases i know about were when a contractor or journeyman lost their license for not fixing failed inspection items.
:P
wish the inspectors could get the DAs to go after some of the jerk generals and owners who dont want it right if it costs even $.10 more.
Posted By: sparky Re: Guess who Wired This? - 09/03/01 08:55 PM
The 'qualified' thing is frustrating, sort of like the search for the holy grail. The thing is, there are so many other national organizations that advocate a standard , yet there is not much for our trade.

here i go on my soapbox again...

an inspector in every pot.... [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums