ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Air Vents in Wireway - 06/30/01 04:34 AM
[Linked Image]
Picture is of a 6" x 6" wireway with two PVC air vents running through the middle. The top of the vent is required to be a specific height above the equipment below, so holes were drilled in the wireway and the pipe run through it.

Tom Baker
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Air Vents in Wireway - 06/30/01 11:40 AM
Looks like this violates Section 300-8. Installation of Conductors with Other Systems
Raceways or cable trays containing electric conductors shall not contain any pipe, tube, or equal for steam, water, air, gas, drainage, or any service other than electrical.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Air Vents in Wireway - 06/30/01 01:12 PM
I guess too, in practicality there may be an issue with sharp edges from the holes that were cut being exposed (if not somehow bushed)

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Air Vents in Wireway - 06/30/01 03:01 PM
it always amazes me that other trades have the unabashed gumption to mess with ours.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Air Vents in Wireway - 06/30/01 07:18 PM
wonder what the other trades would do if you cut out the pvc pipes and plugged the wireway. how did this get by the AHJ?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Air Vents in Wireway - 06/30/01 07:52 PM
I had this idea to make rubber mats, 30" x 36", 42" or 48" depending on conditions. These mats would be placed on the floor of areas dedicated to electrical working spaces and would say something in bright yellow letters such as:

"DANGER! ELECTRICAL ZONE... NOTHING GOES HERE as per 1999 NEC 110-16(a). Failure to comply will result in extremely expensive change-order costs and procedures."

Whaddya think?
Posted By: nesparky Re: Air Vents in Wireway - 07/01/01 04:29 PM
like that idea are you sure the general can read?
Posted By: sparky Re: Air Vents in Wireway - 07/01/01 06:04 PM
well Virgil,the idea has merit!

on one job i worked there were some ornery drywallers , you know, the ones with the 4" router bits.....
i had installed the MDP, and wanted to keep it clear of the rif-raf, so i put a large piece of cardboard over it that read ;

Danger, 1000 Volts!

they all backed off, and all i heard was mumbles and grumbles about that sparky's higher than normal voltage!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Air Vents in Wireway - 07/02/01 10:33 PM
Plumbers!
If you run into the character that did this on a job, replace his icemaker line for the refrig with a piece of bare #4 sol Cu. The fittings fit just perfectly, and it won't leak, even into the icemaker. [Linked Image]
Plumbers!
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Air Vents in Wireway - 07/03/01 02:59 AM
Looks like a Darwin candidate was here! I'd like to know how he managed to avoid nicking any wires when he drilled- and how he killed the power!
© ECN Electrical Forums