ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Lots of Space? - 09/25/11 04:37 PM
Walking distance from my house. There is a lot of land around. I don't understand why...

Electrician7

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Posted By: mbhydro Re: Lots of Space? - 09/25/11 07:00 PM
I am going to guess that the left side module on the DSLAM was an add on after the initial instal.

Otherwise the splicers would never have been able to open the distribution box to make the initial connections to the underground lines.

To move either one would take time and money to splice and I hear in the US some telco's don't want to spend either on copper lines.
Posted By: Electrician7 Re: Lots of Space? - 09/25/11 08:06 PM
mbhydro,
It's Canada. I am not sure about details. Just a fact.
Posted By: mikesh Re: Lots of Space? - 09/26/11 10:57 PM
Maybe the small box is replaced by the big one? they are both telco.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Lots of Space? - 09/28/11 03:56 PM
Pedestals with louvered doors are almost exclusively used for CATV. This is because all of their gear is designed for outdoor (aerial use). Louvered doors aren't used for telco splices because of the potential for moisture.

Don't forget that this pedestal is double-sided, so it is possible that everything in there is completely accessible from the other side.

Then again if it is CATV, since when do they and the telcos get along, especially now that they are in competition with each other?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Lots of Space? - 10/17/11 01:41 PM
You might need the skinniest service man to work on that box.

smile
Posted By: techie Re: Lots of Space? - 10/25/11 12:39 PM
It does not appear to me that the pedestal is double sided. There may be a removable panel on the other side, but the doors open (or not) towards the blocked side.
© ECN Electrical Forums