ECN Forum
Posted By: Bigplanz Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 03:24 AM
I don't know if this is code compliant but it looks terrible.

Attached picture IMG_0001.jpg
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 04:13 AM
Classic "hold your nose" legal.
Posted By: leland Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 05:24 AM
Violation: 350.30(A)
(supported with in 12" 0f a box)

Very ugly Yes.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 08:45 AM
Crikey!,
That is just awful.
A nice bit of rigid could have been run across and around with a few elbows.
What are them cheap looking restraints holding that rubbish to the wall?

Ugh. bash
Posted By: Bigplanz Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
What are them cheap looking restraints holding that rubbish to the wall?

Those clip-things (they have a name which eludes me at the moment) are used to hold vertical runs of EMT to concrete. I see them in parking garages, basements, etc. They hold the EMT off the wall just enough that you don't have to make a 1/2 inch bend to connect it to a box. I have never seen them used for a horizontal run of EMT, though I suppose they could be used that way. This is a commercial ice cream shop near where I live. The line runs to one of the huge compressors for the freezer.
Posted By: Bigplanz Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by leland

Very ugly Yes.

This may be compliant under 'Exception 2' of 350.30 (A)
Posted By: electure Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 02:44 PM
Those "clip things" are called Minerallacs.

http://www.minerallac.com/PDF%27s/Traditional/OB.pdf

They're common anywhere on any surface conduit that requires the conduit to have spacing behind for washdown purposes, or hung from threaded rods.

They're perfectly legal in this application, and have been around since 1904 (Before EMT was even invented)

http://www.minerallac.com/History.html

.....And yes, I think it's ugly, too.

Posted By: Bigplanz Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by electure
Those "clip things" are called Minerallacs.

http://www.minerallac.com/PDF%27s/Traditional/OB.pdf

They're common anywhere on any surface conduit that requires the conduit to have spacing behind for washdown purposes, or hung from threaded rods.

They're perfectly legal in this application, and have been around since 1904 (Before EMT was even invented)

http://www.minerallac.com/History.html

.....And yes, I think it's ugly, too.

Thanks. I couldn't remember what they were called to save my life.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 04:06 PM
This is a perfect example of what I was saying on George's thread about Romex in Carflex. The HVAC installer probably put this in and this is all they carry on the truck.
Posted By: Bigplanz Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 05:14 PM
Another photo at the same site, on a different compressor. I think an electrician did this one.

[Linked Image from stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com]
Posted By: mamills Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 07:25 PM
Maybe it's just the lighting (or lack thereof), but that portion of the liquidtight hanging out in the breeze (in the foregroud of the pic.) doesn't look very healthy either.
Certainly a poor substitute for a nice pipe job.

This isn't a hazardous area, is it?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Bigplanz Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by mamills
Maybe it's just the lighting (or lack thereof), but that portion of the liquidtight hanging out in the breeze (in the foregroud of the pic.) doesn't look very healthy either.
Certainly a poor substitute for a nice pipe job.

This isn't a hazardous area, is it?

Mike (mamills)

The liquidtight dangling down in the dim conditions is under a metal staircase coming from the second floor of the building down to the ground. It isn't accessible, and seems isolated enough to be safe from physical damage. I don't know if it classifies as a 'hazardous area" by definition, though.

A wider angle view.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/19/09 10:02 PM
I have heard arguments that those connectors are only listed for boxes and cabinet K/Os. They say using them with a threaded connector is a violation.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/20/09 12:39 AM
Over here in NJ we calll the 'Mineralacs' "cowboys"! BTW, are they listed for sealtite?

The wide angle view now reveals .....unsupported EMT; is the disco holding the EMT? or...is the EMT holding the disco?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/20/09 02:10 AM
I assume you are referring to the transition where a threaded coupling was used to transition from Sealtite to pipe.

I even have seen a statement by UL in print that claimed that such use of the threaded coupling was improper .... but it was hard to be sure. UL has engineers, not writers, and their prose is often poor. (Just look at any of their standards!)

It's certainly a matter of lively debate in some circles. Alas, the most strident voices of opposition seem unable to back their opinion with more than their egos.

Personally, I don't have an issue with it at all .. and certainly not when there's a ground wire in the run.

As for the argument that "you can't make a piece from parts that is factory made," I have nothing but contempt. Indeed, the 'factory' stuff is usually inspired by the successful use of a field-made assembly.
Posted By: Bigplanz Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/20/09 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Over here in NJ we calll the 'Mineralacs' "cowboys"! BTW, are they listed for sealtite?

The wide angle view now reveals .....unsupported EMT; is the disco holding the EMT? or...is the EMT holding the disco?

If you take a close look at the bottom left hand corner, you can see the EMT is supported by a big block of wood.

Here is a blow up.

Posted By: leland Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/20/09 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bigplanz
Originally Posted by leland

Very ugly Yes.

This may be compliant under 'Exception 2' of 350.30 (A)

No way. it is on a disco,besides,How are you going to move that conduit?
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/20/09 02:53 PM
I must have misunderstood the scale; it looked like the block of wood is more than 12" from the disconnect switch. That switch must be only 2" or so in height.

BTW, is that REALLY "supporting" the conduit or just propping it up so it doesn't rip out of the bottom of the enclosure by its own weight??
Posted By: Bigplanz Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/20/09 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by ghost307
I must have misunderstood the scale; it looked like the block of wood is more than 12" from the disconnect switch. That switch must be only 2" or so in height.

BTW, is that REALLY "supporting" the conduit or just propping it up so it doesn't rip out of the bottom of the enclosure by its own weight??

Tbe block of wood is more than 12" from the disconnect. I would say it's close to three feet below the disco. As far as the question of 'support' that's a good one. Is the conduit properly 'supported' or not, by code? I don't know. The weight of the conduit is borne by the wood, so I would say, 'yes, it is supported.' Whether it is supported in a code compliant way is a different matter.
Posted By: Bigplanz Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/21/09 12:20 AM
At the same site, I came across this oddity. Not sure what to make of the flex just cut off and left dangling from the disco. Hope it's not hot, anyway. As my teenage daughter would say, WTF?!?

Posted By: ghost307 Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/21/09 02:28 PM
LOL

Maybe they used the flex because they were too cheap to buy a drain fitting??

smile

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/23/09 04:56 PM
Looks more like the disco for a removed unit, a pretty common site on a house around here when thieves are working the neighborhood.
Posted By: Bigplanz Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/24/09 02:59 PM
I checked it with a pen tester and there was no chirping. I assume it is a dead/bypassed circuit.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 05/25/09 01:39 AM
If the piece of sealtight is leaving the disco and is not in use. It should be removed. I agree with John that those clamps here in NJ is called Cowboy clamps. The reason they were called that ( As I was told) was because the looked like a spur on a cowboys boot. Go figure that one from Jersey? If the Sealtight is UL listed for UV and protection from physical damage, Then maybe you would have to pass that job. Is it sloppy? Yes, Proper Workmanship like install? No!
Posted By: petey_c Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 06/08/09 10:10 AM
I've always known those clamps as a "Mae West"
http://www.tradeslang.com/findslang.asp?TextSearch=1
Posted By: packrat56 Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 06/08/09 11:01 PM
Need I ask? Simple solution, have an electricain disconnect the power and get a battery powered sawzall then run the circuit CORRECTLY.
Posted By: lukemon2 Re: Violation or not, it sure is ugly - 06/17/09 09:44 AM
why didnt he just "S" tube it from the emt into the compressor??? DA
© ECN Electrical Forums