ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Tile Backsplash - 01/29/09 08:12 AM
My good Friend Steve Ransome was called to a job to fix some wiring. This is what he found. I guess a D-I-Y handyman thought that you can install tile backsplash right over your electrical boxes. Imagine the homeowners surprise when Steve had to tell them that the tile has to be removed.

The handyman really did a nice job cutting out the tile for the switches and receptacle. Don't you think?

Harold

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/29/09 03:11 PM
Cute!
That tile guy, or someone spent a lot of effort & time, shame it has to be destroyed.

edit:
Would have been easier to use block devices! LOL
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/29/09 03:51 PM
It never fails to amaze me how much work some people will do to do something the wrong way.
shocked
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/29/09 06:09 PM
I defy anyone, using scissors and a sheet of cardboard, to do a neater job!

Still, the NEC requires cover plates to be listed, and we need access to those boxes.

The placement is such that .... probably ... the tiles can be removed intact. Then, if you're lucky, the boxes will be able to flex forward, and have the right mud ring, to accomodate the wall. Trimming the tile and covering the mud ring with the proper cover plates ought not be nearly as difficult as what was done here.
Posted By: IanR Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/29/09 07:22 PM
It is definately amazing, the lengths people go, to do something wrong. The work is beautiful though.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/29/09 09:02 PM
If you get them off in one piece mark the holes for owner to drill and put back on with screws.
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/30/09 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by jdevlin
If you get them off in one piece mark the holes for owner to drill and put back on with screws.

If you can't get them off in one piece, have the same person cut new ones and include mounting-screw holes. This person is a true tile-fitting artist; he just needs to be kept away from electical work. laugh
Posted By: junkcollector Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/30/09 02:51 AM
I wonder how they cut the almost perfect holes for the receptacles? More specifically- what tool could they have used?
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/30/09 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by junkcollector
I wonder how they cut the almost perfect holes for the receptacles? More specifically- what tool could they have used?

For 100 Euro.,

What is the Rotozip?

Merci,Marc
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/30/09 05:27 AM
Maybe this method would have been better:
[Linked Image from pw2.netcom.com]
without the cover:
sample of the cover used:
Posted By: noderaser Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/30/09 07:16 AM
Wouldn't a decorative tile cover been easier?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/30/09 03:15 PM
OK, how about using one of the high end, color devices that 'match' the green tiles?

Posted By: Ann Brush Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/30/09 10:13 PM
Its wonderful example of craftsmanship, its not often you see a hack done so beautifully.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Tile Backsplash - 01/31/09 06:38 AM
I think flat decora switches & recepts would've looked cleaner than the toggles laugh laugh

PS these devices look new, is there a GFI in the mix someplace?

And agree'd, premium craftsmanship, just that darn accessibility code thingy...
Posted By: kale Re: Tile Backsplash - 02/07/09 02:23 AM
It's hard enough to get someone to cut that neatly around boxes.
Posted By: lukemon2 Re: Tile Backsplash - 06/16/09 06:36 AM
its hammer time lol smile
Posted By: Luc Re: Tile Backsplash - 11/24/09 11:03 PM
Wow, it would look better with GFCI/Decora devices Haha. But seriously, it must be impossible to access those boxes.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Tile Backsplash - 11/25/09 10:29 PM
You've got to appreciate the workmanship.
Posted By: pdh Re: Tile Backsplash - 11/27/09 04:57 AM
Would be nice if some plate manufacturer would make custom sizes (larger than the minimum covering needed) and custom colors (send in a color sample to match). With some alignment work (devices centered in the tile positions) you could have plates that match the tiles, but meet the requirement for being removable to access the devices. Having the plates listed might be harder to do.
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: Tile Backsplash - 11/27/09 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by pdh
Would be nice if some plate manufacturer would make custom sizes (larger than the minimum covering needed) and custom colors (send in a color sample to match). With some alignment work (devices centered in the tile positions) you could have plates that match the tiles, but meet the requirement for being removable to access the devices. Having the plates listed might be harder to do.

Many wallplates are available in midway and oversize sizes. As far as custom colors go, that would be insanely expensive in a molded wallplate, and merely prohibitively expensive in a painted metal plate. frown
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tile Backsplash - 12/01/09 03:03 AM
Good old 'Mulberry Metals' used to punch out all kinds of oddball plates, alas all were metal from the local plant. Plastic ones came from another facility. Heck, I remember a sixteen (16) gang block plate, mid-sized about 25+ years back for a really wacky client. BTW, the interior decorator had the painter do a faux finish on it!

Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: Tile Backsplash - 12/01/09 04:56 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
...BTW, the interior decorator had the painter do a faux finish on it!

Good point, I didn't think of that! smile
Posted By: lukemon2 Re: Tile Backsplash - 12/10/09 07:05 AM
Wonder how many tiles he broke before he actually got it done right...
Posted By: packrat56 Re: Tile Backsplash - 12/25/09 03:26 AM
Just when you think you've seen everything there's something that just has to change that.
© ECN Electrical Forums