ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/05/08 10:35 PM
I've been busy getting a restaurant ready for a new owner. As far as I was concerned, my part of the job was limited to installing some steam tables ... no other changes were to be done.

Yea. Right.

No sooner had the inspector left, than the owner did some 'midnight electric' himself. Here's what I found on opening day:

At first glance, a nice sushi bar. The only problem is that there were no receptacles for either the sushi cooler, or that Pepsi cooler.

[Linked Image]

A closer look in the corner makes one suspicious ....

[Linked Image]

Our first code problem is the use of an extension cord as a replacement for permanent wiring. Looking behind the sushi cooler, and we're on to problem #2, the issue of disconnection:

[Linked Image]

Let's look closer at the ceiling penetrations; there's an issue about the cords being subjected to damage:

[Linked Image]

The cords enter the attic, where you see this lovely run to a receptacle placed for the servicing of the HVAC gear:

[Linked Image]

You can see the orange cords so artfully draped over the very pipes, etc., that you're going to need to walk / crawl upon. No attachment, no zip ties, no effort to run them in a less exposed manner.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/05/08 10:59 PM
"Cheapness pervades the place."

Ian A.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/06/08 01:22 AM
Seems like there is always 'things' that show up 'after' the inspection. Storefront (interior) neon boarders and signs; the 'center tables' that were not in the food prep area; the scale, cash register, meat slicer. Liquor stores are good for a whole bunch of interior window beer signs, and sparky only installed a duplex! Some food places 'add' things five minutes after I do the final inspection; others may wait a day..assuming I won't be back!

Should have been an extension cord and cube tap salesman.

Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/06/08 01:55 AM
At least it is sprinklered!
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/06/08 08:38 AM
My company (electrical planning) recently had a school where the maint. electreician started ripping down new stuff even before the project was officially finished... of course the electrician who did the original work screamed bloody murder and said they voided his entire liability for the original work by messing around with it.
Posted By: electure Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/11/08 01:07 AM
Is that the factory cord on the sushi cooler?

Sure is a l-o-n-g one if it is crazy
Posted By: renosteinke Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/11/08 01:19 AM
Scott, I wondered about that ... it sure looks like it, with a molded on plug.

FWIW, the previous Sushi cooler I found this guy using has a two-wire cord, with a ground wire added on later, and run along the outside of the zip cord .... secured by tape every foot or so. I think I had you post it a few years back.

Edit: I found the original pics, and have edited them ... to showcase the fine workmanship frown Different jobsite, same customer:

[Linked Image]

And I do NOT remember how the ground wire was terminated:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: djk Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/11/08 02:25 AM
Japan uses a version of the NEMA 15amp outlet, but it's not quite the same.

The two pins are of equal size, non polarised and there are slightly different spec.

Most Japanese outlets are not grounded, so appliances like Washing Machines and cooking equipment has a seperate ground lead that is connected to a bonding post on the end of the outlet.

They also use 100V 50Hz/60Hz.. not 110-120V 60Hz as in north america.

Posted By: djk Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/13/08 01:11 AM
Japanese outlet:

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/13/08 02:51 AM
Thanks, Dave ... that explains a lot!
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 06/14/08 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by djk
Japan uses a version of the NEMA 15amp outlet, but it's not quite the same.

The two pins are of equal size, non polarised and there are slightly different spec.

The one in your photo is clearly polarized, though.

Some years ago I met a manufacturing exec who had what purported to be a Panasonic duplex 5-15R. It hads an oddly shaped mounting bracket, like it was to be screwed onto a surface rather than into a box. I believe it also had a green ground lead rather than a ground screw. Has anyone else ever seen one of these? He was using it to scare factory workers with the threat of Japanese competition.
Posted By: JoeKP Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 12/04/08 07:58 PM
lol,i love that stuff that can come after the inspections, did the customer have you fix those hacks?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 12/05/08 01:32 AM
The customer WAS the hack.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: No Sparkies Needed here! - 12/05/08 02:12 AM
JoeKP:
Reno does not have a monopoly on situations like this. I have numerous situations where the final inspection is approved, and then 'things' appear. This happens both resi and comm.

As to getting it 'fixed'...sometimes it's tough, sometimes it generates additional work for the sparky of record.

Neon signage and border lighting are a notorious item. 'Beer' signs, to many for the installed window recepts are a pain also.

I have one resi that had a skylight 'added' to the master bath...heck with the wiring running thru the joists! And a lot more 'modifications' beside that.

Soda coolers, soda dispensers, deli equip, portable coolers, etc.....they all magically show-up after 'Final'.

© ECN Electrical Forums