ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Clearance Issues - 02/17/08 03:25 AM
Called out for a bid on service change. Never seen a right angle meter base adaptor (I guess thats what you call it). Barely enough room to stand in front of panel.

Mark B.

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Clearance Issues - 02/17/08 05:29 PM
Looks like the panel needs a 90 degree adapter also. smile
Posted By: leland Re: Clearance Issues - 02/17/08 06:16 PM
I imagine no permit on the addition.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Clearance Issues - 02/18/08 10:56 AM
That's not a working space violation any more, that's plain old lack of any common sense!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Clearance Issues - 02/18/08 05:22 PM
I will say that I've seen those right angle adapters in downtown Fredericksburg, VA where older buildings were built so close together back in the 1930-1950 era. There weren't a lot of rules back then. The existing building was fine, but the new building was allowed to be put up with only two feet between them. The power company used to be a city utility at the time and welcomed any kind of new development, so they didn't dare make existing building owners move their services.

Now that their electric utility has been sold for decades, the current poco has been known to use these adapters since their readers can't fit in those spaces, not to mention the fact that these alleys are full of you know what.
Posted By: leland Re: Clearance Issues - 02/18/08 11:54 PM
Heres another one for you.

100A 3P emergency panel. 120/208

(Still working on my computer skills, ARRRGGG)
Posted By: leland Re: Clearance Issues - 02/19/08 12:22 AM
This is the outside look, from the stairwell landing.

Posted By: electure Re: Clearance Issues - 02/19/08 12:47 PM
Is the clearance issue really an issue? Some food for thought.

In the 1953 NEC the minimum horizontal working space clearance is given as 1-1/2 feet, measured from the live parts to a not grounded or live surface.

In the 1975 NEC, the same conditions under 600 volts was
2-1/2 feet.

It wasn't until the 1978 Edition of the NEC that it was increased to 3 feet.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Clearance Issues - 02/19/08 04:09 PM
Don't know... to me it rather looks like 1 foot and not 1 1/2 but the picture might be deceiving.

As for the age of the addition... the 5 panel door on the addition looks older than the main house, so they might have used scrounged parts... no idea.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Clearance Issues - 02/19/08 05:01 PM
He got a point, the version of NEC applies to when it was installed. This what makes code enforcement "fun" crazy
Posted By: markb Re: Clearance Issues - 02/20/08 01:03 AM
Hello All
New here, but not new to the trade. Started in high school and turned out in 1973, started my own bus. in 1990.

As for the pic. I didn't measure but I slid in side ways and stood in front of the panel and I couldn't raise my arms and get a screw driver in front of me. Way to close to work on. I'm about 14" from my back to the front of my chest (I crawled between beams in an attic space and measured once ,very min. crawl for me I'm 6'2" and 260#) so it is maybe 18" from wall to front of panel.

The house was built in the '40s

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Clearance Issues - 02/20/08 01:56 AM
Excellent point, Electure ... thanks for looking that up!
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Clearance Issues - 02/20/08 04:48 AM
Welcome to the board MarkB. Good pics.
© ECN Electrical Forums