ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin DIY Panel Feeder - 11/29/07 04:06 AM
PVC sleeve from under the house to panel on porch with 2/0 SER cable. Panel was replaced and conductors were not long enough to reach terminals in new panel. Looked suspicious, so had the HO remove plywood cover over the box below the panel. This is how he extended the conductors to the new panel which is just above the top section of PVC in the photo.

- Raymfl

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 11/29/07 04:08 AM
This is bad enough, please don't show me the boxes with the covers off.

Ian A.
Posted By: jrclen Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 11/29/07 03:17 PM
Well, he did use boxes for the splices. I usually find them loose, hanging somewhere. Good catch on your part though. Are there split bolts inside the boxes? He must have worked at getting them in there and taped.
Posted By: leland Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 11/30/07 01:12 AM
Recomend 4-11/16 you get more room.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 11/30/07 01:58 AM
A 4" J box will surfice if you just use the rubber end of you hammer to get the wires in. The other end would only damage the wires and that would be just dumb. I almost forgot. Line the j-box with cardboard just to add a another level of protection. that oughta do it
Posted By: ghost307 Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 11/30/07 01:55 PM
Cardboard dissolves over time.

If you have enough volume in the box for the conductors and splices but still want some extra protection, wait until the roofer is looking the other way and swipe a scrap of that self-sticking roofing underlayment membrane that they use at the edge of the roof.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 11/30/07 08:50 PM
Or wax coated cardboard, That oughta do it crazy
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 12/05/07 05:03 PM
C'mon guys, you're missing the obvious easy solution- 20-cent plastic boxes!
Posted By: leland Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 12/06/07 12:53 AM
Ya! and nylon covers! Good thinking, then you don't need rubber tape and the "33" is optional! Good call.
Posted By: wire_twister Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 12/06/07 03:34 AM
At least he used 4 conductors to feed the panel, but I bet the boxes are not grounded, or at least one of them is not.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 12/06/07 03:58 AM
If it starts to arcin' and a sparkin', its a grounded
Posted By: wa2ise Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 12/06/07 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by jrclen
Well, he did use boxes for the splices.

I don't suppose "Knob and Tube" rules would appy here... grin You're suposed to use tubes of "loom"? to protect the wires from the connectors on the boxes... ? laugh
Posted By: Raymfl Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 12/06/07 10:32 PM
He, the HO decided that this was beyond his capabilities so he hired a EC to correct this situation and it was corrected. Previous to the picture posted, there we no boxes and three conductors to the panel with the neutral splitbolted to a 4/0 green conductor and the ECG cut off at the SER jacket. Didn't have a camera that day.

Ray
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 12/08/07 11:57 PM
Just when I thought I had seen it all!
Posted By: CTP Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 02/08/08 03:42 PM
What about Sections 300.3 and 300.30? Wouldn't splicing those conductors in the manner shown lead to the heating up that metal box containing only a phase conductor and a ground?
Posted By: KJ Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 02/25/08 11:26 PM
does this suffice as an expansion joint?
Posted By: packrat56 Re: DIY Panel Feeder - 03/03/08 08:12 PM
I'm seeing a box fill problem here, and I agree with what wire_twister said.
© ECN Electrical Forums