ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Code Violations in Meter Can - 11/29/07 03:54 AM
I did a service upgrade today and these are what I found in the existing meter can. The 4/0 to the left is in 1 1/2 sched 40 PVC. Half the strands have been cut off so it could be double lugged with the original #2. For your violation section.

John Clendenning (jrclen)
Electrical Contractor-Electrician Wisconsin

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Posted By: leland Re: Code Violations in Meter Can - 11/29/07 04:18 AM
So where did the 4/0 go? Looks like an agricultural setting.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Code Violations in Meter Can - 11/29/07 04:28 AM
Jrclen:

what part of wisconsin that you took a photo of it??

Look like it up northen wisconsin area

Merci , Marc
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Code Violations in Meter Can - 11/29/07 04:34 AM
4/0 in a 1-1/2" that had to been a fun pull.
Posted By: jrclen Re: Code Violations in Meter Can - 11/29/07 02:37 PM
This service is in central Wisconsin (near the Dells Marc). The original service (100 amps) was for a mobile home in the woods. The 4/0 was added for a separate service to the garage/workshop shown in the back ground. I do quite a bit of agriculture work though out here. I bet my apprentice lunch if he could pull the conduit off the 4/0 wires. He did it, but he worked at it. I can't imagine trying to pull them in there. I replaced that can with a Millbank meter/load center with a 200A main. New 100A wires will be run to the shed. New 4/0 runs across the lawn to the new log home. Probably the last 3 wire feeder I'll be able to install with NEC 2008 coming. Main bonding jumper and 2 ground rods at the meter/load center, and again at the house. Lots of barns and sheds and farm houses wired that way from a central, pole mounted load center.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Code Violations in Meter Can - 11/30/07 10:54 AM
I've never seen something like this for real, but isn't the bending radius on the 4/0 awfully tight too? How much space is the from the bottom of the box to the lugs?
Posted By: jrclen Re: Code Violations in Meter Can - 12/02/07 01:34 AM
There is probably 5 inches from the bottom of the can to the lugs. An entrance through the bottom would have probably been ok for bending the 4/0. You can see the pliers marks on the 4/0 insulation from the bending method he used. My favorites are the cutting off half the strands and stuffing the 4/0 into 1 1/2 pipe. The flying conduit was great too.
Posted By: Ewire88 Re: Code Violations in Meter Can - 12/15/07 03:32 AM
It looks like our temporary power that supplies power to our job trailers.
© ECN Electrical Forums