ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Recent Service Call - 09/26/07 02:06 AM
Hi guys and girls. Been a slow for a while, and haven't had much that's been photo worthy.

Here's a few I took last week while on a service call to a higher-end suburb...

The 1st one was taken of a back-to-back raintight junction box that's been in use fow probably 30 years. Note that there's no device mounting bracketry.. it appears that the installer drilled and tapped the molded 3/4" fitting to accept the 8/32 device screws.

[Linked Image]

The 2nd pic shows it more clearly. The compression fitting were so rusted and corroded I literally had to cut the boxes into pieces to remove them. The pipe (RMC) is in pretty decent condition, and I wanted to avoid having to dig and reinstall if possible.

[Linked Image]

The 3rd pic is from inside one of the customer's "golf ball" luminaires - the 1970's style 24" diameter outdoor globe lights that look like lollipops.

Yes, that is a medium base, with a mogul-to-medium adaptor inside, with a medium-to-mogul adaptor installed. The only thing I can think of is maybe the installer was trying to make the inside lamp position higher in the globe.

[Linked Image]

The fourth pic shows where the installer mounted a round r/t box to a brick box - using what looks like drywall screws - so he could mount a motion sensing lamp assembly.

The funny thing is, the hole to hole distance is such that he could have mounted the lamp direct to the box, and just gasketed the assembly for weather tightness.

- DougW

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rewired Re: Recent Service Call - 09/28/07 10:11 PM
Ahh ya I love calls like this..
" Can you fix it?" Yes, yes I can but you are not going to like what has to be done!
A.D
© ECN Electrical Forums