ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/11/07 01:43 AM
These photos were taken on one of my memorable inspections. This was a temp service on a construction site and as you can see there were a few violations.

Oh and I also had to evict the tenants living in the panel.

Enjoy!

Rocco Compitello
Electrical Subcode Official
Elmwood Park, NJ

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/11/07 02:34 AM
What the...

I see four+ 4sqs, GFCIs, an old dryer/range recept, and a big nest!

Oh and I also had to evict the tenants living in the panel.

Priceless!

Edit: Oh, and that had better be a stick in the bottom there...

Ian A.
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/11/07 07:07 PM
In addition to what Ian said, it looks like one 4SQ. has a Decora instead of a GFI, plenty of K/O'd KOs (no doubt how the "tenants" found their way in, and I'd love to know what those two little wires are doing in with the feeders, with no neutrals... I also hope you took the panel cover off, and didn't just find it like that...
-Will
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/11/07 09:52 PM
I see 3 circuits on the left & it looks like 3 on the right going to the 4"Sq. Right side is 2-GFI's??? Left is 1-GFI, & maybe 1 duplex? How do you put 3 circ on 2 GFI's?; or is there more down lower out of the pic?

John
Posted By: KJ Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/12/07 06:08 AM
on a positive note, at least they have all those 4 squares well grounded.....
Posted By: mxslick Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/12/07 06:18 AM
A shame, really. It looked like this temp started out quite well made and possibly Code compliant and use, abuse and critters have fouled it all up!!

Maybe at the risk of some abuse ( smile ) I'll put up pics of the three-phase temp panel I built for my film projection system.
Posted By: RSmike Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/12/07 02:20 PM
Whoever did this knew alot about the code but didn't want to spend money. I'm guessing the panel was a re-use. Is the bonding screw in there? That's usually tells alot about the homeowner.

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: electure Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/13/07 12:39 AM
This looks to me like it's outdoors.
Maybe weatherproof boxes, covers, and a 3R panel would be nice.

Posted By: john p Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/13/07 12:07 PM
If you look on the right side it appears to be inside a box to keep it dry. The panel is a subpanel so no bonding screw is needed. looks like a decora instead of a gfi, might be the paint and picture quality though. some ko seals would be nice.
It is definetly reused its a temperary panel.
Looks like it was laying outside in a pile of leaves.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/14/07 02:46 AM
The 'panel in the box' theory don't sit to well with me. The devices are likely to be 'in-use' and suitable boxes/covers likely will be required. The debris inside and open KO's probably would become a moot issue.

As the whole install is not visable, final judgement cannot be determined. FWIW, I have seen some very well built 'boxes' where the EC has the key to the padlock; he controls power, cords exit thru slot in bottom, and all is dry, safe, secure.

John
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/14/07 03:52 AM
The top-left decora has a ground-prong snapped off in it too.

Ian A.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/14/07 01:10 PM
Isn't that an "isolated ground"??

wink
Posted By: hardwareguy Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/16/07 07:09 AM
Hmm... let's count all the sins:

Use of indoor boxes on outdoor installation
Too many wires in each KO.... it looks crammed!
Missing KOs leading critter infestation
No GFCI on the white plug....OK if fed by one of the brown ones though. (I HIGHLY doubt this to be the case...LOL!)

Where's the main disconnect?

Except for the critters, the wiring job is fairly clean though.It looks like it has been exposed to moisture... I bet the plugs don't have great connection integrity any more.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/16/07 07:42 PM
That looks like type THW or TW wire in those pipe nipples, surely more than should be in a 1/2" pipe. I can't imagine a situation where you would need to use wire lube to go three inches, but I'll bet they did on this one.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 07/17/07 11:10 PM
Ed: My eyes hurt now but I think I see
" TEW" 105*C stamped on one of the many green wires.. Guess from the looks of it they didn't want to share neutrals, OR grounds!

A.D
Am i wrong but did they overfill the half inch offset nipple too much. Just curious?
Posted By: walrus Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 08/04/07 12:37 PM
No fill requirements on a offset nipple
Posted By: Samurai Re: Temp Service & Home Sweet Home - 08/04/07 07:33 PM
hey! come on! what's a birdie to do to keep warm?
© ECN Electrical Forums