ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 05/07/07 08:10 PM
I came across this one today, the homeowner asked if I could put the panel cover back on.

- HCE727

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 05/07/07 10:08 PM
Look on the bright side. At least they used wire nuts instead of "twist and tape."
Posted By: mamills Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 05/08/07 12:36 AM
That CAUTION tape is really an understatement!!

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: LarryC Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 05/08/07 01:19 AM
So..... is there remote power switch for the furnace or was that it?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 05/08/07 04:18 AM
So, did you put the cover back on? Seems like all that would be needed is some longer screws crazy!

From the dropped ceiling grid shown in some of the pics, it definitely looks like Harry Homeowner was busy at work finishing his basement and didn't need to hire no professionals! laugh
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 05/11/07 08:37 PM
You know what they say: "False ceilings hide a multitude of sins." So, I guess you have to put one heck of a false-wall in front of that panel.

Seeing stuff like this makes me glad I don't do resi. service work any more. The only way my conscience would rest easy touching that panel is if I were ripping it out.

-John
Posted By: Flux Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 05/11/07 09:17 PM
Ripping the whole thing out is uncalled for.. But certainly alot of things in that mess need to be taken out and replaced.
Posted By: ayrton Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 05/12/07 01:39 AM
I wouldnt say it is "uncalled for" That panel is too small for all those wires Period.
Plus it is rusted out on the bottom. Lets upgrade and make it safe and proffessional.

Bet you the guts are loose on the backboard too. Breakers have probably been arcing for years and buss has hot spots all over it.
Posted By: yaktx Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 06/07/07 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by ayrton
I wouldnt say it is "uncalled for"

I'll second Ayrton here. I wouldn't want that next door, let alone in my own house. It is an interesting artifact, though.

I see just about every kind of "interchangeable" breaker in there, but the main, what is that? An old Murray? That panel seems impossibly tiny for 200A. And the blue-handled tandem near the bottom, with the "wrong way" toggles like a Stab-Lok, what is that? I don't think I've ever seen one of those.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 06/07/07 12:26 PM
The main is a old Crouse-Hinds/Murray.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 06/07/07 03:26 PM
The blue-handled tandem breaker is an early version of Westinghouse's (later Bryant) twin. That's definitely a Murray panel. I also think it's safe to assume that the switch on the ceiling is a disconnect for the furnace since the red plate screws are still in it. I guess they wanted to be careful and not lose them!
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 06/07/07 11:53 PM
Bryant was Westinghouse's resi./ light commercial line, they dropped the Bryant name later.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 06/08/07 12:21 AM
So this is why we invented dynamite...

...and bulldozers...

...and 5 pound insulated-handle sledgehammers...
Posted By: yaktx Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 06/08/07 01:56 AM
Yeah, I noticed the red screws, too.

What exactly is the origin of the "interchangeable" bus stab? I've heard Westinghouse, I've heard Sylvania. I have a Frank Adam panel from the mid-50s that looks like it would probably accept a BR or a QP. And then of course in some panels, a competing breaker will "fit", but only if you really hammer it... not that it will be Code-compliant if you do.
Posted By: lukemon2 Re: Can You Put The Cover Back On?? - 06/21/07 08:18 AM
i wouldnt use the caution tape on the box but on the door of the house (shut-er down)
© ECN Electrical Forums