ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin EMT for GEC - 05/03/07 03:54 PM
Aside from from a few other obvious violations, I have a question about the EMT protecting the GEC. No bonding jumpers, required by 250.64(E) and 250.92(A)(3). Opening not adequately closed, per 312.5(A). The question is: Can 300.15 be cited for the lack of conduit fitting entering the LB? Is there a better Code reference?

Thanks,
Kevin Duke

[Linked Image]

Posted By: JJM Re: EMT for GEC - 05/03/07 08:21 PM
Definitely a violation of 250.93(A)(3). Essentialy the GEC is now a choke, and is almost useless to safely diverty fault current. I believe we've had discussions on this before.

Assuming PVC is acceptable by local code to protect the GEC, that's what should've been used - with proper fittings and no opening like what's pictured. Here in NYC, our local code requires the GEC to be protected in metal conduit, of course bonded at both ends to comply with 250.92(A)(3). RMC or IMC outdoors, EMT indoors. Depending on the inspector, you can sometimes get by with Greefield indoors because it's still considered "protected".

300.15 could apply... while a box or conduit body is installed, in this case the conduit body isn't installed right or as listed, and certainly isn't "workmanlike" in any way.

Joe
Posted By: BigJohn Re: EMT for GEC - 05/05/07 06:20 PM
Aside from the violation of protecting the GEC like that, I think you might cite 300.10:
Electrical Continuity of Metal Raceways and Enclosures: Metal raceways, cable armor, and other metal enclusres for conductors shall be metallically joined together into a continuous electric conductor and shall be connected to all boxes, fittings, and cabinets so as to provide effective electrical continuity. Unless specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code, raceways and cable assemblies shall be mechanically secured to boxes, fittings, cabinets and other enclosures.
My emphasis on the part that seems to apply.

-John
© ECN Electrical Forums