ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Classroom Violation - 04/25/07 03:35 AM
Hi, I'm a student about to graduate with my associates in Electrical Tech.
Every friday our class spends an hour looking at the pictures posted in this forum, they teach us alot about what not to do!!
anyway thanks for all the informative pictues

I am including a picture I took of a receptacle that is in our Code classroom, the same room we look at the pictures in! lol
as you can see there is no cover plate and the entire top half of the receptacle is busted off.

- Justin M.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: noderaser Re: Classroom Violation - 04/25/07 04:07 AM
But it still holds a plug!
Posted By: KJ Re: Classroom Violation - 04/25/07 05:51 AM
lets see....

mechanics car stalls....
plumbers faucet drips....
painters house is peeling....
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: Classroom Violation - 04/25/07 06:25 PM
OK, open mouth, insert foot. I'm going to guess that that cover was compression molded, probably of phenolic. The compression stuff is more brittle than the injection molded, and maybe the cure portion of the mold cycle or temp or both were a little off. So along comes Mr. Maintenance with a vacuum or a polisher, and when he's well away from the receptacle, he yanks out the cord. Do that with the lower outlet, and you tend to break the bottom of the ground pin hole out (like here). Do it on the top outlet, and, CRACK! Off comes half the cover. shocked

Isn't it embarassing for the school to have something like this in a CODE classroom? frown

I hate to think how often I have seen receptacles like this. Wouldn't you think the liability alone would move property owners to have something like this fixed? mad

Just by the by, I find it interesting that this unit uses the T-slot contact terminal assembly on the hot side as well. I suspect you could slam a 240v plug through that plastic if you tried. Not that anyone does things like that... grin
Posted By: n1ist Re: Classroom Violation - 04/25/07 11:17 PM
The T-slot innards allows one piece to be used for both the hot and neutral side on the entire family of receptacles (5-15, 5-20, 6-15, 6-20).
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Classroom Violation - 04/25/07 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by n1ist
The T-slot innards allows one piece to be used for both the hot and neutral side on the entire family of receptacles (5-15, 5-20, 6-15, 6-20).

Yeah because some of the manufactering do that to keep the tooling cost down.

myself i did see few busted 240 volt verison of it as well and they will make pretty nice firework as well whistle

but the biggest thing that some area just dont bother to change it unless someone tell the mantaince personalle to fix it or change it.

I did see that few time in school building and have to fix it and end up using very hevey duty grade repecale to prevent anymore damage but it will happend sooner or later.

Merci , Marc
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Classroom Violation - 04/26/07 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by KJ
lets see....

mechanics car stalls....

And the cable guy's cable is out laugh

That really is bad though, and I'm assuming none of the future-electricians are allowed to put a paw on it?

Pat-het-ic.

Ian A.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Classroom Violation - 04/26/07 02:49 PM
Reminds me of the technical school I attended until last year... once a receptacle started pulling out of the wall (pretty common here since more often than not receptacles here are only fastened using claws that spread against the wall of the box and if the plastic box isn't all surrounded by plaster the box expands under the pressure of the claws...)... one day the receptacle was gone (backstabbed of course) and only the bare live wires were hanging out of the wall... 230V to ground. Stayed that way for about a week until it got fixed. Don't like the thought of something like that around nosy and potentially stupid 14-year-olds...
Posted By: yaktx Re: Classroom Violation - 04/27/07 03:06 AM
The worst example of this I ever saw was in a university classroom. It was a floor receptacle, brass trim, cover flap long gone, full of crud of course. One of the students was walking around with bare feet. I was just there to give a lecture, but I put my plug tester in there and of course it lit up.
Posted By: yaktx Re: Classroom Violation - 04/27/07 03:09 AM
T-slot contacts hold better, I have found. I have an antique Hubbell t-slot Edison base adapter. It holds plugs better than most of the garbage found today. Of course it may well date to the era when receptacles were a rarity, and you needed a base adapter if you wanted to plug anything in.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Classroom Violation - 04/27/07 12:54 PM
That doesn't prove that the T-slots have better retention; only that the newer stuff isn't as good as the older products.

"They don't make 'em like they used to."
Posted By: noderaser Re: Classroom Violation - 04/27/07 11:29 PM
I was in one of our lecture classrooms the other day, where they've got outlets underneath the deskts for laptops, etc. Went to plug mine in, and noticed that the faceplate on the outlet was missing. Wonder how many people have gone fishing with their hands to find the outlet, and gotten a surprise. There's enough room in the box, for your finger to slip in and make contact with one of the live screws.
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: Classroom Violation - 04/28/07 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by KJ
lets see....

mechanics car stalls....

https://www.electrical-contractor.n...6&topic=0&Search=true#Post111640

An electricians closet light! laugh
Posted By: Luc Re: Classroom Violation - 11/24/09 11:22 PM
Got a plug like that at work. Worst case I've seen.
Outlet is outside, Outdoor cover and seal long gone, Next to a customer entrance, where little tykes go by poking, Half the outlet is busted right off. And to top it off it was a Slater too O_O. Trying to convince the boss to let me fix it...for two weeks!
Posted By: Luc Re: Classroom Violation - 06/24/11 11:26 PM
A bit of an update on my last post, of the outside outlet missing pieces at my (former):
-Yes the outlet is still there,
-There is still no outdoor faceplate on it (no plate at all)
-Yes the damaged outlet is still present, exposed to the elements.
-Yes I will try to send in a pic when I go back there
Posted By: mikethebull Re: Classroom Violation - 09/05/11 11:19 PM
It must not be "in the budget" to fix it . Wait for lawsuit.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Classroom Violation - 09/12/11 08:11 PM
On a related note, my local church had an open house to show off the renovated school. They painted the walls, installed whiteboards, and things like that. But I noticed a missing coverplate for a light switch in the 2nd grade classroom... Mentioned to the teacher that she ought to get maintenance to take care of that before some kid finds the powerline...
Posted By: harold endean Re: Classroom Violation - 10/17/11 01:39 PM
Once I was following a locksmith to a job and he had to run around to the passenger side of the truck. The driver side door had a broken lock! smile
© ECN Electrical Forums