ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Buried Meter - 04/12/07 01:01 AM
Here is a POCO installed 400 amp meter socket (pedestal). After installation, Evidently the HO decided they didn’t want to see it as they drove up to the house.

Can’t wait until the meter reader sees this! And, no, there is not enough room to flip up the front.

JohnJ0906

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Buried Meter - 04/12/07 04:22 PM
Standard thing to do around here is to plant a thorn bush in front of the meter... laugh
Posted By: BElder Re: Buried Meter - 04/12/07 06:10 PM
Who in the H E double hockey sticks taged it approved for a meter? Amazing!!!!
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: Buried Meter - 04/12/07 09:57 PM
This was installed, then a stone wall was built 6' infront, and then backfilled. At least, that is my guess. It would be impossible to install this as-is. As soon as the inspector shows up for final, something will hit the fan!
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Buried Meter - 04/13/07 12:16 AM
Homeowner is going to be really amused when he comes home and the poco has snipped his line out at the street and left a greeting card on his door grin
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: Buried Meter - 04/13/07 12:22 AM
Hee hee hee! Even better-the day I was there, a rep from the window manufacterer, was there checking windows and doors. I saw him taking pictures, and we discussed cameras, then he told me why he was there. $70k + windows and doors, HO called him screaming about sticking doors and windows, and he found over 1/3 NOT installed level! House stuccoed already, Mr. framer is in deep doo-doo!
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Buried Meter - 04/13/07 09:19 AM
@Randy: your PoCo does disconnections? About the only disconnections most European PoCos do are for non-payment... unless there's imminent danger like a downed overhead feeder (utility owned) they won't do anything as long as they get their money for the juice.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Buried Meter - 04/13/07 02:46 PM
Safety standards would require the meter reader to have a harness and a handler standing by when he works in or over a pit like that. :-)
Alan--
Posted By: Hendrix Re: Buried Meter - 04/13/07 04:30 PM
If they don't make him take it down, they can install a remote readable meter. That's what they did at my home, but it was because of the dog.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Buried Meter - 04/13/07 05:04 PM
The POCO could just send him the bill for getting their meter readers certified for 'Confined Spaces Entry'.

I see 2 possible outcomes when the meter reader reports back to HQ:
-Power is shut off until this is changed
-HO gets a generously estimated bill until it's changed. Since the POCO will estimate high, our HO may be in for a very rude awakening.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Buried Meter - 04/13/07 07:58 PM
Hendrix: Your dog reads the meter? smile
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Buried Meter - 04/13/07 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by ghost307

-HO gets a generously estimated bill until it's changed. Since the POCO will estimate high, our HO may be in for a very rude awakening.

A homeowner able to afford a house that takes a 400 amp service might not notice a high estimated bill. Even if he sees it (if he's really rich, his accountant deals with it)...

Posted By: Trumpy Re: Buried Meter - 04/13/07 11:54 PM
I hope that place isn't prone to flooding or heavy snow-fall.
BTW, what are all them blue wires to the right of the meter box?.
Posted By: noderaser Re: Buried Meter - 04/14/07 02:41 AM
Looks like a mix of Cat5 and coax.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Buried Meter - 04/14/07 11:02 AM
Water meter OK, Electricty meter Oh lala !! frown

Is this service already livened ?

Best is for the POCO to leave power disconnected till meter is repositioned.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Buried Meter - 04/14/07 02:26 PM
They installed drain lines coming off that, so it won't fill with water and flood out the meter, right?
Posted By: CaOperator Re: Buried Meter - 04/14/07 02:37 PM
Looks like a trap for blowing leaves and other debris. Or a compost pile waiting to happen. The coup de gras here would be the addition of a door on top to prevent people/criiters form falling in. Should make a wonderful haven for spiders too.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Buried Meter - 04/14/07 02:41 PM
Sometimes I think folks go to greater lengths to hide the meter than the family jewels.

I've heard many tales of 'stolen identity,' but not one of unauthorized meter reading!

Here's a list of silly ideas that "sounded good at the time:"

- The light over the swimming pool (ever try to change one?)
- Hiding the trash cans (so the collector can't find them)
- Hiding the panel / fusebox / meter (just where is that breaker?)
- Joining the Foreign Legion (Don't ask!)
Posted By: mahlere Re: Buried Meter - 04/14/07 05:56 PM
to paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson...is this not a perfectly acceptable place to put a meter?
Posted By: JJM Re: Buried Meter - 04/14/07 06:02 PM
It's amazing how much money people will spend to do things wrong. I mean really... that wood bulkhead isn't cheap, and neither is the stonework on the foundation wall where the meter is mounted.

If they didn't want the meter mounted on the outside for cosmetic reasonos, they could've went with an indoor meter pan in the basement and a remote read. Or put the meter pan behind some bushes near the property line and go underground to feed the house... all of which would likely be cheaper than this.

Unreal...

Joe
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: Buried Meter - 04/14/07 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hendrix
If they don't make him take it down, they can install a remote readable meter. That's what they did at my home, but it was because of the dog.

How? You don't have enough room to flip the front cover up to remove the meter. I measured.
Posted By: noderaser Re: Buried Meter - 04/15/07 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by renosteinke

- Joining the Foreign Legion (Don't ask!)

Ok, you've set yourself up for this one...
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Buried Meter - 04/15/07 08:17 AM

How? You don't have enough room to flip the front cover up to remove the meter. I measured.

but if that meter is bolted in type that going be a [ beeped ] to do this.

the other option that the idiot owner can ask the POCO is use the CT cabent in basement and have meter read outside or just put a 400 amp main breaker at that wall and have meter / ct set up at the transformer if that run is UG ..

Merci , Marc
© ECN Electrical Forums