ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk How to connect an earth (UK) - 02/25/07 11:56 AM
From TrimixLeccy:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: How to connect an earth (UK) - 02/25/07 07:10 PM
One of my all time favourites, this one. A homeowner decided to connect a wall light to an old Lead Sheathed cable. The instructions said that it required an earth. Easiest option? 1) fit an old rusty jubilee clip around the cable sheath. 2) stick a bit of earth wire stripped out of some flex beneath the jubilee clip. 3) Realise that the jubilee clip is a bit slack so fit a broken clothes peg to take up the slack. 4) tighten clip 5) stand back and admire ingenuity and think of the money saved by not getting an Electrician in. The UK is now 'slowly' trying to regulate Electricians and electrical work; but that's another story.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: How to connect an earth (UK) - 02/25/07 09:47 PM
Oh my god, that's a good one!
I've seen similar contraptions before though - only in my case a) it was a copper water pipe, b) a proper earth clamp, just a number too large and c) they didn't use a clothes peg but some sheet copper. Oh yes, and they managed to loose the terminal screw, so the just squeezed the wire between clamp and pipe. After roughly 40 years of use behind the bathroom tiles everathing was thoroughly corroded - thanks heaven it didn't supply anything real dangerous - just a wall heater that was out of reach and had an isolated pull chain switch.
Posted By: Tesla Re: How to connect an earth (UK) - 02/25/07 10:58 PM
Dare I say: Clip-Joint?
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: How to connect an earth (UK) - 02/25/07 11:03 PM
We like that one [Linked Image]
Anybody got a better one?

Just thought....'Line connector' ?
Posted By: pauluk Re: How to connect an earth (UK) - 02/26/07 12:38 AM
I thought that looked like lead-sheathed cable. Is this from the same place as the old junction box with lead cable here ?

I suppose it could have been worse. The guy who did this could have sandwiched the wire between the jubilee clip and the wooden peg!

Trimix,
Speaking of all-time favorites, this contraption has become something of a classic here at ECN!
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: How to connect an earth (UK) - 02/26/07 05:25 PM
Nice one. {the above link to the swimming pool outlet} I would give it an NICEIC Code 5...Code 5) definition....'whereas this does not comply at present and is probably lethal and installed by a total moron, it may well comply in the future when we get bored and change things around a bit....' [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by TrimixLeccy (edited 02-26-2007).]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: How to connect an earth (UK) - 02/27/07 02:34 AM
LMAO! Who says "Yankee Ingenuity" doesn't exist on the other side of the pond???

The dishsoap outlet is what you use when you have dirty power [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: How to connect an earth (UK) - 02/27/07 11:28 AM
Who says "Yankee Ingenuity" doesn't exist on the other side of the pond???
Well, here it is called "Russian engineering"! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
(My dad's generation still have very "fond" memories of the Russian soldiers after WWII [Linked Image] )
Posted By: Trumpy Re: How to connect an earth (UK) - 03/14/07 02:53 AM
I give them 10 points for innovative thinking.
Take 5 off for actual effectiveness of the joint.
© ECN Electrical Forums