ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Can You Dig It? - 01/11/07 12:40 AM
Here's something Trollog found:

I watched the lo-volt guys come in and install a conduit from one building to another. This was their handiwork.

Pic 2 shows the path their conduit took from building to building.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/11/07 01:25 AM
Something like that ... almost makes me want to open the box, damage the wire, bury it all real nice .... then call them for a warranty repair.

Honestly ... to bury a junction box that way ... what were that thinking?
Posted By: trollog Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/11/07 03:22 AM
And the lo-volt guy's response was "hey, its just lo-volt"

good luck pulling that thing again someday. This was done by an out-of-area sub. Still no excuse, but also too little oversight.
Posted By: mahlere Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/11/07 03:56 AM
however, i do believe it's legal....technically speaking...
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/11/07 09:39 AM
Hypothetically speaking, if this wasn't low voltage, this would be a violation of 314.29 wouldn't it?
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/11/07 02:14 PM
314.29 allows it...depending on what's covering the box. Dirt is a no-no, but gravel is okay.
Posted By: cschow Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/11/07 06:32 PM
Does that pull box have a tee going off of it or is it just a through run? If the latter is true, then I can't see how that box would be necessary, unless you have too many bends.

Sure, doing it legal is one thing and doing it legal and correct is another.

Hope some expensive landscaping is going over it.
Posted By: trollog Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/12/07 02:25 AM
Yep, too many bends. Count the 90's.. I count 7. I'll try to get another picture of a different building in the same complex that I happened to spy today with 585 degrees of bend and no pullbox. These guys are classic..
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/12/07 03:27 PM
That box looks to be at least a foot down. IMO, there's a world of difference between a light covering of bark (or gravel) ... and placing it that far down.

I suspect that the low voltage guys will no longer consider this buried box acceptable after the first service call.

Ironically, despite the gasketing, I find that dirt and water still manage to get in those boxes. The use of an "N-9" handhole would have been a better solution.
(An "N-9" is a fiberglass tubular handhole, with a mid and open bottom. Overall size is about the same as a 5 gallon bucket).

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 01-12-2007).]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/13/07 03:18 AM
I wonder if CA's certification program will put an end to this.

Peter
Posted By: trollog Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/13/07 03:27 AM
"I wonder if CA's certification program will put an end to this."

I'm not holding my breath on that one...
Posted By: electure Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/16/07 01:31 AM
Some more from Trollog

Here is some more work by the same lo-volt guys between 2 other
buildings in
the same project.. The green stripe represents where the pipe runs, the
colored arrows are points where I photographed sections of pipe. See
if you
can count all the 90's and 45's

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/16/07 03:35 AM
How do they like you photographing their work? [Linked Image] I cant even begin to count all those bends. Thats about TWICE the allowed bends, I think.
Posted By: cschow Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/16/07 08:59 PM
Have they pulled any wires yet, or do they take the hack approach and run wires first through all the sections and then glue it all?
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/16/07 10:03 PM
Maybe a bucket of jet line and a rat, or a slicked up fiberglass fishtape? Whatever the case, I bet it was a sight to see.
Posted By: trollog Re: Can You Dig It? - 01/17/07 01:42 AM
check out the yellow arrow pic.. that monstrosity is empty at the moment. I have been watching these guys for the past week since they showed up to complete the PV install.. a total bunch of clowns. All tools brand spankin' new as in, bought yesterday, some 28 yr old yuppie running the show, and it seems those guys are constantly yakking on the phone rather than working.. watched one guy spend 3 hrs mounting a disconnect!
© ECN Electrical Forums