ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke My Favourite Assembly - 12/30/06 01:13 AM
We've all seen parts assembled in creative ways. This one, however, deserves an award:

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 12-29-2006).]
Posted By: EV607797 Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/30/06 01:33 AM
Wow, they have a real handyman on staff at that place, don't they? Most smart people would have never been able to come up with such an ideal solution. Things that make you go hmmmm.
Posted By: mahlere Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/30/06 03:17 AM
i'm beginning to wonder if these are all your handywork, just so you can take pictures and submit them [Linked Image]

j/k.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/30/06 04:04 PM
Now there's one I haven't seen before!
John, are there wires actually going from the right hand bell box through the back into the SLB?
Posted By: CTwireman Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/30/06 05:47 PM
Is there any work in Reno that is actually good?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/30/06 05:50 PM
Yes, the wires enter the box 'through' the top of the SLB.

What also might not be obvious is that the left-hand box is rotated for a reason; the reason is to allow connection of the second pipe - which is located behind the pipe from the SLB.
The two boxes are connected with a rigid nipple. It is not possible for the boxes to move relative to each other; the nipple is corroded fast in place.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/31/06 02:32 PM
John,
Why is there a hole in the side of that building?.
Or is that the biggest air vent the owner could afford, after you'd submitted your bill?.
And why is there a hose coming through it?.

{Message edited to add full-stops.}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-31-2006).]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/31/06 04:45 PM
Mike, it looks to be the plenum off the A/C unit next to it, the "hose" is sealtite that is prob. feeding power to unit.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/31/06 07:34 PM
Mike, here's a view of the other side of that unit.

The "hose" is a piece of sealtite that starts at the first "bell" box (see the 90 fitting on the end?), passes through a gap under the duct, attaches to a vertical piece of pipe (not visible), then returns to sealtite ... seen in this pic flying through the air, with but an unusual assortment of fittings in the middle!

[Linked Image]

Here's a closer look:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/31/06 08:12 PM
Why go all the way to the supply house when we have a couple short pieces of sealtite and these extra sealtite 90's and ½" couplings around! [Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Posted By: mxslick Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/31/06 08:13 PM
All of the abvoe begs the next question: Why is a "swamp cooler" tied into what appears to be a standard rooftop A/C unit?!?

Is there any work in Reno that is actually good?

CT, the answer to that is yes. In fact renosteinke has posted some examples of his own work which are quite good!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Elviscat Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/31/06 08:15 PM
how do things like that LTFMC mess happen?

"this peice of Sealtite's too short boss"
"okay, just use a threaded coupling and two straight connectors... wait, here's an old rusted right-angle one I found on the ground, use that, no one'll see it it's just up on the roof"
[Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/31/06 09:47 PM
Those of you who know me well enough might have been just a wee bit suspicious as to my timing in posting these pics...

Well, in another forum, a well-respected man Joe Tedesco) has a thread going about the mis-use of fittings. I figured I'd show everyone what REAL mis-use was!

I'm not sure if what I've posete here actually constitutes code violations .... but I think we can all agree that these are certainly examples of fittings being mis-used.

The fix, for the top pic, was as simple as a two-gang box with holes in the appropriate places. For the lower pic, all it took was a single piece of seal-tite, to replace a whole box of fittings, as well as a length of rigid (that was likely water pipe anyway).

Those with sharp eyes, and clear memories, will recall other pics from this same tiny roof. The place has been under new ownership for just over a year now, and I am ever-so-slowly replacing all of this 'creative' work.
Posted By: mahlere Re: My Favourite Assembly - 12/31/06 11:22 PM
I think the store next to this building as a fitting name for Reno's time spent fixing this mess...."Good Times"
© ECN Electrical Forums