ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Under-water meter? - 10/08/06 04:07 PM
From Adam, in Sparks, Nv.

While on vacation off Cape Hatteras,NC, Adam saw what he thought was an interesting meter placement:

[Linked Image]

A closer view of the meter:

[Linked Image]

Comments, anyone?
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Under-water meter? - 10/08/06 04:51 PM
Ummmm....this is pretty typical. I see this all around my area on similar summer homes.

Peter
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Under-water meter? - 10/09/06 01:47 AM
It seems to me, from the design of the house and the rust on the meter, that this area is often flooded. Indeed, the meter might even be below 'high tide.'

Doesn't that seem wrong? Does the meter reader work from a canoe? Does standing in a few feet of water count as "accessible?
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Under-water meter? - 10/09/06 11:46 PM
Does the meter reader work from a canoe?

LOL!!

I'd say this all depends on what the Poco wants. If anything at all, the meter should be on the opposite side of house where the body of water is furthest.

In other words, if the lake or ocean is in the backyard, place the meter in the front yard. The last thing we need is for AHJ's requesting a yacht to do their work! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tesla Re: Under-water meter? - 10/10/06 01:43 AM
This meter is set to be read on horseback.

Get up to speed!
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Under-water meter? - 10/10/06 09:02 AM
Or perhaps scooba or proper diving gear while under water.

Rust on the magnet will certainly slow the meter down, customer unlikely to complain, exept when power fails i guess.
Posted By: mamills Re: Under-water meter? - 10/10/06 01:06 PM
I have seen many installs like this on Matagorda Island here in SE Texas. This one actually looks pretty GOOD by comparison [Linked Image]. In periods of common thunderstorms and high winds, the salt spray blows horizontally all over the place.

In low flood-prone areas like this, the water will lap against the side of the structures and posts at ground level and easily reach equipment installed that high.

I guess the meter-reader could stand on the bumper of his truck to read the meter... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 10-10-2006).]
Posted By: sbs9 Re: Under-water meter? - 10/10/06 02:11 PM
The only time there's water under that house is during a Cat5 hurricane.

Sheesh.
Posted By: Roger Re: Under-water meter? - 11/01/06 07:39 PM
I agree with Mamills, meters and switchgear around salt water will rust from just the salt air.

In FL the pad mount transformers are submerged in storms and if they are still working after the primary power is restored the POCO doesn't even bother opening them, they just keep moving.

Roger
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Under-water meter? - 11/02/06 11:56 PM
If the meter dial rusts to a stop but the conductors keep conducting, is the electricity free?
Posted By: yaktx Re: Under-water meter? - 11/03/06 05:34 AM
"If the meter dial rusts to a stop but the conductors keep conducting, is the electricity free?"

Meter parts are usually aluminum and various alloys, and the bearings are usually magnetic suspension nowadays, I think. It would be hard to envision one rusting to a stop, although you could adversely affect the accuracy. If any salt water got in there, corrosion would be the least of your problems.
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: Under-water meter? - 11/03/06 02:35 PM
In areas around Galevston TX the primary (7200V)and secondary (120/240V)lines are buried but the transformer is mounted on a pole. No pad mounts are used. You see poles thru out the area with no wires between. This is to prevent damage durring tidal flooding.
© ECN Electrical Forums