ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Stolen Electric - 09/01/06 02:00 AM
This was the ultimate picture of stolen electric on a house.

Alan Nadon
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: giddonah Re: Stolen Electric - 09/01/06 02:40 AM
Come on, 14 guage? I'd like to see at least some 8 or even 6.
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Stolen Electric - 09/01/06 05:07 AM
thats, like, MEGA-ILLEGAL! are there any codes that they didn't break? not many!
Posted By: rhagfo Re: Stolen Electric - 09/01/06 05:52 AM
What is the RED Tag hanging form the meter can in Pics #1 & #2?

Did the POCO catch them, would be a little hard for the Meter Reader to miss!!
Posted By: Megawatt Re: Stolen Electric - 09/01/06 10:49 AM
That type of tag around here, means no reconnection of service until upgraded.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Stolen Electric - 09/01/06 11:22 AM
Anyone else notice that the meter reading is 00000?
Posted By: mamills Re: Stolen Electric - 09/01/06 01:29 PM
Is the original service (I'm assuming cable)to this fine residence buried somewhere beneath the fake brick siding?

Not all bad, however - they did leave a drip loop [Linked Image].

Does anyone know if POCO's routinely check all services/meters, even the ones that they know are disconnected or booted? This one would obviously be an easy catch.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: LarryC Re: Stolen Electric - 09/01/06 05:10 PM
Was this a remodel after a fire? It looks like the "owner" was temporarily powering up the breaker box until the service was finished. The zeroed out meter seems to indicate the POCO was in process of repowering the house.

Or I am blowing smoke out my ear?

Larry
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Stolen Electric - 09/01/06 11:13 PM
Larry, If you are blowing smoke out your ear that's quite an accomplishment. Forget electrical, thats a fortune waiting to happen!

Seriously, though, the lovely city of Naperville, Illinois checks all meters about yearly. Its just a person walking around looking, but, still. It helps.
Posted By: electure Re: Stolen Electric - 09/02/06 12:22 AM
Is the original service (I'm assuming cable)to this fine residence buried somewhere beneath the fake brick siding?

I think it's coming out the top of the meter enclosure and dangling off some where to the left.

Here in SoCA those Reds Tags and seals are used on services that have either been shut off for non payment or have been condemned for some reason or another.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Stolen Electric - 09/02/06 07:50 PM
Hmm, wonder why the POCO bothered to install a new meter then... Around here they would pull the meter and put in a blank off plate and seal that...
It does look like the building had a small fire eh? I wonder if its origin was electrical?? [Linked Image]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Stolen Electric - 09/03/06 12:21 AM
OK, a POCO that don't cut the drop at the pole???

It looks like the old SEU was dropped (see top and left of meter pan, 2nd pic)

PSE&G does a disconnect (cut) at the pole, not at the drip loop/head.

John
Posted By: mamills Re: Stolen Electric - 09/03/06 02:23 AM
Man, you've got good eyes, John! [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: mxslick Re: Stolen Electric - 09/03/06 04:36 AM
Not only was the SEU cut (good call, HotLine1!) But I agree it looks as though there has been a fire.

Check out the corner of the roof eaves in the first and second pics.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Stolen Electric - 09/04/06 05:47 AM
Cut the drop at the pole, get everyone out and call the back hoe in.

Ian A.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Stolen Electric - 09/05/06 01:09 AM
Guys:

Thanks for the compliment!

I haven't seen a house with that type of siding in a really l o n g time. It used to be prevalent in Newark when I was a kid.

As to a "fire", possible but doubtful IMHO.

John
Posted By: mamills Re: Stolen Electric - 09/05/06 02:16 PM
In my part of the world, the POCO will simply boot the meter and red tag (seal) it if a non-payment of service is involved. If it's a fire disconnect, a condemnation/code violation, or a theft of service, they will pull the meter (leaving the can open) and cut/tape the conductors at the pole. In a number of cases, they will go a step further, removing the entire drop from the pole to the weatherhead.

If the service is destroyed (as in the case of a serious fire), the POCO will recover whatever pieces of the meter they can find, and then remove the drop from the pole.

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 09-05-2006).]

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 09-05-2006).]
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Stolen Electric - 09/06/06 09:25 PM
That 14 AWG is going to get awfully hot over the course of the next few weeks.
Posted By: steve ancient apprentice Re: Stolen Electric - 09/07/06 12:54 AM
Cant even say yuck what a mess just what the Heck ( not the choice word i was going to use) were they thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Stolen Electric - 09/07/06 03:55 AM
That cable looks a bit heavy to be #14. I'll bet it pre-color-coded-sheath #10. Maybe we can get Alan to go back and check.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Stolen Electric - 09/07/06 03:04 PM
Picture was taken several years ago.
With the help of Webmaster (Bill) I have been able to scan some of my old Photos and send them to him for posting. All the pic.s from me are being viewed only because of the great job he has done.

I believe it was #12/2 wgrd.
The house had a fire and the new landlord decided he needed temporary power for repairs, since we suspected he was also living in it while fixing it.
POCO installed the zeroed meter to better monitor unauthorized use. [Linked Image]
Alan--
© ECN Electrical Forums