ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 08/30/06 02:28 AM
found this contraption hanging out of a breaker panel in an older home.

- dryden_burton
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 08/30/06 02:48 AM
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
How dumb can some people be!?

Ian A.
At least they tried to put a cover plate on this mess. Although, just think, 15 amps on each outlet and its fine. [Linked Image]
Posted By: wa2ise Re: New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 08/30/06 04:19 AM
That an FPE "no trip" breaker? Then the number on the handle wouldn't mean much....
Posted By: Hemingray Re: New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 08/30/06 05:32 AM
.....I won't even bother to ask what this person thought hacking this up [Linked Image]
No comment at all
Posted By: Wizzie Electric Re: New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 08/30/06 06:28 PM
I didn't know what to think when I found it either. Don't you just love the charred 12 AWG neutral and the gound wraped around the NM. Oh and the 30 amp breaker
the ground wrapped around it? I didn't see this at first. The person who hacked this was probably counting on the chassis ground. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Hemingray Re: New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 08/31/06 03:29 AM
hey give the guy credit. at least he used a breaker to begin with [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 08/31/06 01:55 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the wires were connected to the wrong terminals on that plug also. Looks like a complete failure from one end to the other.

This "creation" was just hanging out of an FPE panel, hooked up, with no cover in place? Hmmm, I wonder what was holding the rest of the breakers in place...?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Wizzie Electric Re: New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 08/31/06 02:23 PM
This "creation" was just hanging out of an FPE panel, hooked up, with no cover in place? Hmmm, I wonder what was holding the rest of the breakers in place...?

There was a cover on the panel. this was hanging through a breaker knock out.
Posted By: mamills Re: New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 08/31/06 04:14 PM
This is one of those situations where you just have to laugh, to keep from screaming in disgust [Linked Image]. If you were doing an upgrade/repairs, I hope the whole house wasn't full of gems like this.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: RSmike Re: New and Improved "Widow Maker" - 09/01/06 06:17 PM
Hey WizzieElec.. I typically remove two or three breaker knockouts to allow for convection cooling of the service panel. It lowered my electric bill by 10%. I do this especially for FPE panels which tend to run hot when under fault conditions.

But seriously folks.....

RSlater,
RSmike
© ECN Electrical Forums