ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Electric Sink - 06/07/06 11:46 PM
This was in a kitchen remodel at a church.

The plumber installed a water heater under the sink and instead of having an electrician put an outlet where it was needed cut a hole in the sink lip and ran his cord through it. There is no grommet or other protection where the cord goes through the metal.

Alan Nadon
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rick Kelly Re: Electric Sink - 06/08/06 04:12 AM
Man oh man... that is one classy install.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Electric Sink - 06/08/06 09:53 AM
I suppose it could have been worse. He could have tried to run it down inside the overflow! [Linked Image]
Posted By: sockets Re: Electric Sink - 06/08/06 01:33 PM
I suppose it could have been worse. He could have tried to run it down inside the overflow! ~pauluk
------------------------------

Such a sink doesn't have an overflow, but at least there's a GFCI. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Electric Sink - 06/08/06 02:00 PM
...and it's only because of the intellect of the electrician (and maybe the NEC)that the GFCI is there to begin with (although locating a receptacle of any kind directly behind a sink doesn't seem like a great idea).

Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of church installations are done by well meaning but seriously misguided people - usually on a volunteer basis.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Electric Sink - 06/08/06 03:03 PM
Must be another US thing - in Europe I've yet had to see a sink without an overflow.

I guess the receptacle was there before the sink...
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Electric Sink - 06/09/06 11:53 PM
If I had to guess, Texas, I'd guess that this kitchen was re-modeled. I suspect that the original sink was a single basin (to one side of the receptacle), and that the cord goes to a garbage disposall under the sink.
(How the disposall is switched is anyone's guess!)
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Electric Sink - 06/10/06 01:24 PM
Maybe.

As far as the handwriting on the picture goes the cord supplies a water heater.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Electric Sink - 06/10/06 03:40 PM
Texas, you're right! I must have been having a "stupid" attack! OOPS!
Posted By: Dave T Re: Electric Sink - 06/10/06 06:24 PM
Church remodel?
Ah Ha!!!! There must have neen a reason so I think that I know the answer.
Either it's a means for one to meet his maker or a way for one to have a "born again" experience.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Electric Sink - 06/10/06 08:07 PM
Crikey,
This is about as slack as it gets!. [Linked Image]
I especially like the RTV seal/cable gland in the corner of the sink.
Posted By: RSmike Re: Electric Sink - 06/12/06 05:24 PM
What and/or where in the NEC makes this installation illegal?

Is the grommet the only issue?

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Electric Sink - 06/13/06 12:31 AM
The lack of a grommet, to protect the cord from abrasion, is certainly an issue.

Also, while some may debate whether the code would allow a cord to be the disconnecting means, the code certainly does not allow the cord to pass through a wall or partition- and I think the counter would qualify!

Finally, the receptacle would be part of a "small appliance" circuit. Considering the current draw of a water heater, I think you could challenge connecting the heater to it.

Oddly enough, overseas I often saw small water heaters mounted just above sinks- they gave just wnough water, just hot enough, for hand washing. I don't believe the NEC would have any problems with that arrangement.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Electric Sink - 06/13/06 01:34 PM
Small 5l or 10 l (roughly 1 1/4 or 2 1/2 gal.) hot water tank heaters (under and over sink mont) are quite common. Usually 1500W, connected via cord and plug. Personally I don't like them.
Posted By: FountainGuy Re: Electric Sink - 06/15/06 12:44 PM
I agree with renosteinke; no grommet is not right, and especially a cord through the counter is not right. Whoever's in charge of the Church building committee needs to change this. The hole could either be plugged or a soap dispenser could be placed there.

[This message has been edited by FountainGuy (edited 06-15-2006).]
Posted By: sockets Re: Electric Sink - 06/16/06 02:34 PM
If I had to guess, Texas, I'd guess that this kitchen was re-modeled. I suspect that the original sink was a single basin (to one side of the receptacle), and that the cord goes to a garbage disposall under the sink.
(How the disposall is switched is anyone's guess!) ~renosteinke
---------------------------------

That does not appear to be true either. It's obvious that those cabinets and counter are at least as old as the 1970s, as well as the faucet.

Unless that outlet was there even before that, I would suspect it was always like that. The GFCI, however was obviously added fairly recently, so the original outlet install was not even GFCI protected.
Posted By: sockets Re: Electric Sink - 06/16/06 02:40 PM
Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of church installations are done by well meaning but seriously misguided people - usually on a volunteer basis.

~Mike (mamills)
-----------------
Too true. In my experience alot of church installations are apparently done by volunteers. The stage lighting and sound installations can be quite interesting.

The kitchens are usually cobelled together of tables and old cabinets and appliances that were scavenged for free.

You can certainly find some interesting stuff, esp in older churches.
© ECN Electrical Forums