ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/24/06 02:38 AM
Spotted this one in a hotel in Decatur, IL last weekend.

Yes, that is a sprinkler head next to the ceiling fan.

Not sure if it's the firefighter or electrician who's more concerned!

- DougW
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sandsnow Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/24/06 03:10 AM
Wow, I can't believe this was the original install!!!
Ceiling fan must have been an addition. My fire inspector friends will like this.
Posted By: Wizzie Electric Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/24/06 04:55 AM
nice and cozey. that sprinkler isn't for the fire supression system its for a misting system on hot summer days [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/24/06 05:28 AM
Well, in case of fire, that spinning fan will help whip the water around a wider area. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/24/06 08:54 AM
And when the power fails, the water jet turns it into a turbine so they can keep the bar open during the fire.

Alan
Posted By: DougW Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/25/06 05:08 AM
Alan - sad part is, this was in a guest room.

I could understand a "party room", but... [Linked Image]
Posted By: BElder Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/25/06 09:43 PM
You know it even looks like the sprinkler was tweeked a little to install the fan [Linked Image]
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/25/06 09:56 PM
Tweaked, it looks like that sprinkler head was pushed aside a good 8 inches to make room for the fan. [Linked Image] The pipe feeding it must have had enough flex to bend a little. The body of the fan motor probably hides a slot cut into the sheetrock to allow the sprinkler to be moved aside. With that level of care exercised on this install, I would wonder if they used a proper electrical box for the fan.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/26/06 05:23 AM
the other condersing that with celing fan if the motor do "stall" it will build up a bit of heat there just enough to pop the spinker head off [ most will pop open at 135 F temp]

and who ever came up with this set up have not see the major goof there i dont know where the code but it should be in some kind of distance between the " object " and spinker head.

merci , Marc
Posted By: BElder Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/26/06 07:57 PM
It's in the NFPA Standards 13R-1999 According to CA Building Code & I don't have a NFPA Standards book. Anybody out there that can look that up?
Posted By: e57 Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/28/06 07:38 AM
I don't know how many times I have dealt with, that there has been a failure of the Architect to the roll sets or over-lay for conflict. Light CL of the room, sprinkler CL of the room... Often there is a race to see who gets there first. It looks like in this case no one said anything.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/28/06 08:00 PM
E57, I agree completely.

Though, in my experience, it is the result of folks being too focused on their trade alone, and not having the slightese clue as to the requirements of other trades / codes.

As for this pic- expect more of this to come! The NFPA is aggressively atempting to require sprinklers in all residences, and has incorporated this requirement in their "model code."
Sprinkler folks ar accustomed to trying to place the heads in the center of the room. Since most sprinkler heads are intended to cover a 12' x 12' space, most rooms can be covered by just one head. Now, if the rooms are larger than that, then two heads will be used- with the result that neither head will be anywhere near the middle.

I am (again!) involved in bringing a "McMansion" up to the customers' expectations. For all the expense of these palaces (homes are priced in the area of 1.5 million!), almost every roon has a switched receptacle as the "lighting outlet."

While this may comply with the NEC, the occupants typically will want not just a light, but a fan, in the middle of every room.

Folks are going to place a lot more value on how things 'look' than any invisible technical advantage.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/28/06 11:55 PM
I have one question,since this is in a hotel where is the Fire Marshal?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/29/06 11:07 AM
"Installers required. Common-sense would be helpful, but is not a requirement."
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/30/06 01:56 AM
I always love when the HVAC guys see fit to place their registers right in the middle of the room where a lighting outlet box should go.
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Sprinkler and Ceiling Fan - 01/30/06 04:15 AM
I'm used to FM-200 systems shutting down exhaust fans prior to discharge. Maybe these folks wanted to shut off the fan to help fight the fire. I wonder how long it would take???
Joe
© ECN Electrical Forums