ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/30/05 05:40 AM
Pictures bought to you by Randy {LostazHell}:

These are from an auto body shop that wanted an air compressor hooked up...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks Randy!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-30-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/30/05 05:43 AM
But wait, there's more

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mahlere Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/30/05 12:55 PM
i particularly enjoyed the emt into the handybox in the last picture. that was definately unique.

the rest, unfortunately, are very common around here in small business (especially auto shops or any business where there is anyone remotely mechanically inclined on site- a little knowledge is a dangerous thing)
Posted By: sponge Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/30/05 12:58 PM
Gasp!... Thats one of deals where you're glad it didn't blow up when you opened the door. Regarding pics 2 and 3 - Looks like 12 gauge feeding 4 ?! Pic 3 - Were those wires routed like that when you opened the door or did you move them for the photo? -- Hard to believe...
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/30/05 10:53 PM
How is it that 2/3 of that mess is even working without the fuses installed?

Let me guess, the owner of the business decided that fixing this "mess" wasn't a priority, right?

It works just fine, no big deal... (roll eyes in disguist)
Posted By: joebob982 Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/31/05 12:17 AM
i don't see anyting wrong. well except for that part over there...u know that part that comes after the meter outside and runs throughout the building.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/31/05 12:44 AM
I think this "sparks-a-lot" sparky has a twin brother....working in Reno! I am currently doing some work in a transmission shop, replacing some very similar stuff!
Posted By: electure Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/31/05 01:15 AM
For some reasons, many auto mechanics think that because they can replace a tailight, that they are qualified to work on the shop's wiring.
I find them constantly wanting to tell me their tales of prowess in wiring, even while I'm shaking my head in disgust repairing their work.
.........Let's see, the black is ground, right?
Posted By: Radar Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/31/05 03:27 AM
New color code: Blue / Black / Red. Everybody think they can remember that?
Posted By: Dave T Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/31/05 04:27 AM
I about fell off of my chair when I saw that last picture, the picture with the orange cord. I would like to see what the box looks like inside, how the receptacle if feed and how the heck they got the receptacle to fit.
A great challenge as I see it.
But then at least they must have got the positive and negative wires correctly connected from the looks of the other pictures.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/31/05 08:09 AM
According to Randy,
The 50A outlet is outside, and if you look close enough, dripping wet! (Its been raining here off and on the past couple of days.. and we're supposed to be in for a really wet New Years weekend. The large 3 phase disco used to protect the Zinsco subpanel to the right of it, but near as I can figure, someone bypassed it with #12 that you can see piecing things together in there... Nothing in that place made a whole lot of sense, but it seemed to "just work"... I wasn't even daring enough to put an amp clamp on the #12's to see what they were carrying!.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/31/05 01:39 PM
The large 3 phase disco used to protect the Zinsco subpanel to the right of it, but near as I can figure, someone bypassed it with #12 that you can see piecing things together in there...

So the cables coming into the disco top right are a new feed from somewhere else?

I wonder what's on the other end of the original blue-phase feeder now, just in case somebody accidentally closes the switch.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/31/05 07:59 PM
Dang, Randy - you do get some odd jobs!

Love the last pic, with the 1/2" EMT running through the 104 box - that's a doozy!

Man, those Square D Switches (EXO / Disconnects) are Antiques!

Thanks for the pictures.

Scott35
Posted By: Radar Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 12/31/05 08:19 PM
Looks like someone forgot to yank the last fuse out. Like pauluk indicated, hope no-one decides to close that switch.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 01/01/06 04:25 AM
...Ok,...What's the cottage cheesey looking stuff on the wall?? It looks like mold on concrete.. Yccckkk!!
Russ
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 01/03/06 01:18 PM
Yeah Russ,
I was looking at that when I was editing these pictures, it looks like a combination of a textured coating and a severe build-up of dust.
Or is this Auto-shop in a cave?.
Posted By: BElder Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 01/03/06 04:43 PM
How about Art. 511.12 GFCI protection for ALL 125v. 15 & 20 single phase outlets!
you know this really seems to get missed alot do you think it's because it's in art. 511.12 instead of 210.8?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 01/04/06 02:06 AM
What's the cottage cheesey looking stuff on the wall??

It appeared to be some sort of cotton, blown-on insulation with a lotta dirt in it... The building was made of sheet metal looking kinda like an old plane hangar...

How about Art. 511.12 GFCI protection for ALL 125v. 15 & 20 single phase outlets!

BElder, I'm willing to bet this place has been here way before the invention of the GFCI came about, looking at the old Zinsco panels, and the prehistoric Square D disco's... Most of the outlets were old Rodale, and the installer of the more recent Leviton above wouldn't have room for the EMT AND a GFCI in that handybox now would he? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Besides, the outlets are almost all ground-up! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Randy
Posted By: yaktx Re: Auto Shop Stuff from Randy - 01/04/06 04:04 AM
Besides, the outlets are almost all ground-up!

With the notable exception of the 6-50R, probably the only one that matters, because most plugs that mate with it are designed to go ground-up, and have heavy cords which result in significant strain in a ground-down position.
© ECN Electrical Forums