ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Poor Fan Installation - 10/30/05 07:49 PM
I thought you might be interested in these photos for your website. I took them last Saturday with the homeowners camera while tracing out an open circuit. I found the problem in a 1900 box in the attic. Of coarse that was the last place I looked! The home owners brother cut into a wire in the attic to pick up a feed for the paddle fan that he installed in the next room. The paddle fan was installed 3 years ago. Look how nicely he installed the receiver!

- Greg Herth
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Poor Fan Installation - 10/30/05 09:17 PM
Hi there Greg,
There are some people that should never be allowed near wiring, I think this guy may be one of them.
The connections in that box in the first pic look rather dodgy. [Linked Image]
Does this fan unit have some sort of a wireless remote on it?.
Posted By: Tesla Re: Poor Fan Installation - 10/31/05 01:52 AM
Cancel his fire insurance!
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Poor Fan Installation - 10/31/05 06:08 AM
.....ok, I have no comments here. even my amateur level wiring skills are better than this. least all my splices are in boxes and use wire nuts.
Posted By: Tiger Re: Poor Fan Installation - 10/31/05 09:57 PM
Creative, but very dangerous. It is hard to get those receivers to fit where they belong.

Dave
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Poor Fan Installation - 11/02/05 09:29 PM
I once had to R&R a ceiling fan on an extremely-sloped ceiling. The angle of the ball on the rod prevented the remote receiver from fitting in the mounting bracket.

My solution was to place the receiver in the 3-gang box that the fan was fed from, behind the switches, using the 14-3 to connect the receiver wires to the fan wires.

Believe me, I had to re-dress that 3-gang box very carefully, like I normally do on new work. By the way, my brother and his wife were very happy with the results.
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Poor Fan Installation - 11/07/05 12:39 AM
Hey Larry,

How many cubic inches does a remote control receiver count as? With 14-3 is it 2.0?

Harold
Posted By: sstrick Re: Poor Fan Installation - 11/07/05 02:39 AM
Commenting on the first pic: Looks like a guy who's "really good at hooking up speaker wire" (notice the very small seperation in each NM). Also, "The neutral carries no current; no need for a wire nut!" And finally; cable not secured within 8 in of the box.

Extra points for using cable clamps and a box of sufficient size?? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Poor Fan Installation - 11/07/05 07:57 AM
Why has he fitted a boat propeller up there? Is he expecting flooding? Where's the rudder? The whole set-up is a joke, surely!

Alan
© ECN Electrical Forums