ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/04/03 03:33 PM
[Linked Image]
Here is the I'm proper (read as improper) way to store the dispensing nozzle for LPG. The line in the background is the propane hose line to the pump in the foreground.

Thanks,
Shane
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/04/03 07:00 PM
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Gosh. $4 at the big orange store. Some people!
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/05/03 12:05 AM
TG
Where do you come up with all the artwork you post?

Pierre
Posted By: Bjarney Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/05/03 12:52 AM
TG — A couple of 23¢ worm-drive clamps for fastening the hoseholder to one of the grounded conduits would assure a safer, non-sparking installation.

The gray can with the deep hinged cover at the post top looks like it may contain a 30-50A receptacle for a “hookup.” Personally, an RV or trailer with a short cord could be a "problem."
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/05/03 01:28 AM
I don't have a copy of the NFPA 58, but I believe those sylinders must be (10? 25?) feet from combustibles, including vegatation.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/05/03 10:25 PM
PCBelarge:

That one was free from the orange store [Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/06/03 04:53 PM
At least its hanging on an Exp Prf box [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: John Steinke Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/09/03 11:06 PM
Walrus- Those boxed look like NEMA-3R (raintight) to me.
Would this stuff be required to be explosion-proof? How big must the tanks be- and does this apply only where you are pumping LPG?
I'm not being silly- I note that LPG vendors are x-proof, but no households are- and some of them have some BIG tanks!
Incidentally, NEC defines the zone as 20 feet from the tank.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/10/03 02:36 AM
It looks like a disconnect switch, by the bulge in the front, or ??? It's 3R, not EXP.

Interesting thou, there's a sealing fitting on the incoming conduit, a EXP switch, and a EXP J box at the motor/pump.

John
Posted By: MinElectrcn Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/10/03 02:57 AM
All the fittings look like they are class 1 so the reasoning behind the Nema 3R box at the top of the pole seems to escape me. looks like the seal-off under the start/stop would have been alot of fun to pour. The motor seems a bit out of place as well.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/10/03 03:12 AM
I don't have any referances handy here but is it possible that, since propane is heaver than air, the classified location has a height limit? Still no excuse for the hose hanger.
Posted By: Redsy Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/10/03 10:43 AM
514.3(B)(2) doesn't seem to be of any help because the "dispenser enclosure" (is there one?) is not visible.

However, due to the apparently intentional installation of properly rated enclosures and seals, I will go out on a limb and suggest that it's possible that the installer actually knew what he was doing! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 09-10-2003).]
Posted By: sabrown Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/10/03 01:03 PM
John and Big Jim have things right, and the picture does show almost correct wiring. Article 514 applys as this is a filling station (though not for motor vehicles). The tank is located just out of view. The nema 3R disconnect is within the class 1 division 1 location by virtue of where the hose is hung. Though if the hose had a place to hang located over 36" away this would be acceptable and installed correctly because we are within 20' of the tank

Some things that are not visible. 514.11(a) is violated, only the hot conductor is interupted in the circuit (the grounded current carrrying conductor must also be interupted. 514.11(C) Emergency controls are also not at the site.

The hose from the tank to the pump is installed directly on the ground in a walking area.

Thanks for your comments.
Shane
Posted By: walrus Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/10/03 07:11 PM
I take it 36 inches is the magic number for LPG??. I see the sealing fittings in and out of the NEMA enclosure so if its above 36 inches, its OK?. Switching the neutral could be done in this enclosure if it was a 2 pole disconnect or if the motor was 220??. Possible that the install was done with a shorter(so short it couldn't reach the switch)hose and then over the years it got lengthened to accomodate new uses??

[This message has been edited by walrus (edited 09-10-2003).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/10/03 08:44 PM
And if they don't want to spend the money on the sheet of bent tin to hang the hose, you can always use a scrap rim from the wheel of a car as a hose reel

Hang it from the post with bolts and it's already got the holes to connect a bonding wire.
Posted By: sabrown Re: LPG Fuel Dispenser - 09/11/03 12:38 PM
36" from the despenser (all directions) and 18" above grade within 20 feet. Sorry for not being clear.

Shane
© ECN Electrical Forums