ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Spa Panel - 06/08/03 03:34 AM
[Linked Image]
This panel is mounted about a foot above grade, and serves an above ground spa.
It gets sprinklered daily in the flowerbed.
Unfortunately, I had to turn this work down, as the owner wanted me to only replace a relay in the spa, and thought the rest was OK....S
(Electure)
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Spa Panel - 06/08/03 06:37 PM
If it wasn’t able to kill people, it's almost humorous that 5 circuit-breaker poles could be in such sad condition... from their environment and just a little help from a so-called "electrician." Maybe someday more people will understand just how water makes electrical stuff so much more deadly. It’s sobering to realize that someone’s inept few minutes inside a small electrical enclosure can so easily create a death trap for the next 30 years.

{Once again, sometimes you gotta' laugh to keep from crying.}

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-08-2003).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Spa Panel - 06/09/03 11:10 AM
electure,
Kudos for "doing the right thing".
Posted By: PaulCornwall Re: Spa Panel - 06/09/03 07:30 PM
nice job!!!!!!

hope you wiped your finger prints off it!!
Posted By: Scotts Re: Spa Panel - 06/09/03 10:16 PM
This looks just like my pool pump panel. I turned it on one day, just after the timer clicked it off. Heard that nice chattering and saw smoke. Further investigation revealed that the CB had melted the leads off the buss bar. I am now replacing the whole thing.

The pump that pulled 12 amps was wired with a 40 amp breaker. The other pump that pulls 10 amps was wired with a 30 amp breaker.

Needless to say I abondoned this and am putting in a new panel.

Somehow the people who wired in pulled in 4 #8s solid in 1/2" sealtite. Not to mention the green gound that was too short, so the spliced it with a red wire to the ground buss in the panel.

Scott
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Spa Panel - 06/10/03 11:01 PM
Two of those breakers look like they were rescued from a concrete pour mid-cure.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Spa Panel - 06/11/03 01:56 PM
Am I just seeing things or are those red and blue wires going into the neutral buss with the white wires going into the breakers? [Linked Image]

Imagine trying to change a device on one of those circuits, throwing the breaker and thinking that the branch under repair is dead....
Posted By: mamills Re: Spa Panel - 06/12/03 01:21 PM
I'm assuming that the oversized-looking single pole breaker in there is a GFCI, in which case there should be a line neutral (probably that curly white wire) and a load neutral, also white (I hope). But there are definitely colored wires on the neutral buss. Can anyone see the service conductor for the neutral in here, along with the two hot legs? I can see where it's supposed to be, but it doesn't look like it's there.

For this little box to be capable of holding six SP breakers, it sure seems awful small and tight.

Lots of deterioration going on in there from exposure to the elements, natural and man-made.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: electure Re: Spa Panel - 06/13/03 01:04 AM
The grounded conductor for the GFCI is that brown wire with the white tape on it. It was just brown on the other end...S
Posted By: CaOperator Re: Spa Panel - 06/13/03 02:01 AM
Speaking of colored wires on the bus, you would think with all the available spots, the silly bugger might have resisted the urge to double lug that orange(red?) and blue wire! [Linked Image]
Posted By: mlk682 Re: Spa Panel - 08/02/03 02:28 PM
A representative for a local native american indian reservation asked me to install a new trailer in a park.....I went out to look at the distribution to find a 200 amp disconnect feeding 6 trailers with 100 amp disconnects (ALL 3 wire) and meters installed UNDER the tap boxes ( a foot off the ground) Now here in minnesota we get three feet of snow a year.....one meter was gone and in its place was #10 shoved into the slots....A small child was playing in the back yard..THIS HAD PASSED AN INSPECTION at one time. I moved two jobs and replaced everything.
Posted By: sparked Re: Spa Panel - 10/01/03 10:32 PM
Is that a self-tapping sheet metal screw holding the ground lug but sticking out of the side of the box?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Spa Panel - 10/01/03 11:19 PM
Good catch! Now that you mention it, the paint isn't stripped either
Posted By: Zapped Re: Spa Panel - 10/04/03 12:35 PM
I thought this was one of my pictures for a minute! I see this stuff all the time.

If the client refuses to perform the necessary work to make this installation safe, I would be compelled to report him to the city inspector. I probably would not make any friends, but I would be content to save a life (or lives) instead.

We see this alot in our line of work, and it becomes almost comical after we callous up to it...but it isn't funny at all. People DO die, and all too often, from this type of neglect, and it's usually an innocent - not the cheapo who is responsible for it.
© ECN Electrical Forums