ECN Forum
Posted By: electure In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 07/31/04 10:35 PM
On vacation this last week, Monday, I spotted this 1/2 burried receptacle with no cover. It was on the sidewalk within reach of all passerby people in front of the Louisville Slugger Museum entrance. At least it was a GFCI receptacle, but I can't say if it was operating properly.

Timm Philips

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 07/31/04 11:30 PM
but I can't say if it was operating properly

But at least you can say it looks like it's grounded! [Linked Image]
Posted By: George Corron Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 07/31/04 11:37 PM
OH GEEEEEZ.
It's now official Paul, you NEED a hobby. Get your ham license, we'll talk.

George
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/01/04 01:57 PM
[Linked Image] LOL [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/01/04 03:39 PM
[Linked Image from click-smilies.de] That one's easy to test, turn the sprnklers on & it should trip...

-Randy
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/06/04 01:30 PM
This brings back memories of the picture I took this winter:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: George Corron Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/06/04 04:16 PM
Ryan,
MAN, I HATE when quicksand happens. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/12/04 08:19 AM
WTF???? Ryan??? Why did the poco set a meter in that??? Where are the friggin hinges??? You gotta be kidding me! [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: NORCAL Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/12/04 01:02 PM
What is the story behind the pole?
Posted By: iwire Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/12/04 08:10 PM
Going back to the receptacle, what is the code violation? [Linked Image]

Can't say 110.26 unless you would also keep an entertainment center from covering outlets. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/12/04 09:56 PM
Here is the original thread for the meter enclosure:

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001330.html
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/13/04 06:21 PM
Bob,
110.11 for the runoff thats undoubtedly entering this with the missing cover..
110.26(F)(2) for lack of protection from the sprinklers & lack of a "suitable enclosure"
314.15(A) for not placing this to prevent moisture from entering & accumulating in the box..
300.6(B) for the box in direct contact with the earth, someone posted pics in another thread of some buried Bell boxes.. I can't find the link right now...

-Randy
Posted By: iwire Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/13/04 09:10 PM
Pretty Cool Randy.

110.11 I think is a stretch, the equipment is listed for outdoor use.

I do not see how you can apply 110.26(F)(2) to this outlet, if you do you will also have to apply all sections of 110.26 to all outlets and switches.

This would make kitchen counter outlets a violation of the work space requirements for example.

You defiantly got me with 314.15(A) [Linked Image], IMO that is right on the money, I will not forget that section now, Thank you. [Linked Image]

300.6(B) Allows boxes to be in direct contact with the earth "where made of material judged suitable for the condition, or where provided with corrosion protection approved for the condition."

Around here Bell boxes are judged suitable for dirt water etc.

I guess that is an AHJ call. [Linked Image]

I agree red tag with 314.15(A) on it.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-13-2004).]
Posted By: iwire Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/13/04 09:20 PM
We both forgot 406.8(B) for the in use cover.

This was probably in compliance when installed and there is no 'maintenance code' right now, so whata ya gonna do? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: In the Dirt--Ball 1 - 08/13/04 09:44 PM
I quoted 110.11 because there is no cover on the GFCI.. Considering the greenery in the picture, I'd bet the GFCI face is exposed to water at least every other day via the sprinkers & the GFCI itself isn't identified for the wet enviroment

I'll go with you on 110.26(F)(2).. I was thinking of the sprinkers as "leakage from piping systems" [Linked Image] (I tried!) & the fact that without the cover it's not a "suitable enclosure"

As far as 300.6(B), I'd be hard pressed to place an aluminum box in contact with the earth.. I can see moisture in the soil deteriorating it double time & eating it away... JMO, I always use PVC for anything in the ground when I can..

406.8(B)(1)... Thats where that is! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

-Randy
© ECN Electrical Forums