ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin More Duct Tape! - 06/02/04 02:20 AM
Here we have some creative use of duct tape to insulate brittle conductors, the neutrals were taped together & failed causing partial power to the rest of the house,... The romex was found under a sink, HOT!, formerly going to a garbage disposal.. The switch for it was the combo duct tape thingy you see here.. switch was on when I arrived.. FPE Breakers fell right outta the box when I removed the remnants of duct tape holding the dead front on.. open KO in the back of the can w/o connector... Pool light switch swinging in the breeze.. Recommended new service, & at least a partial rewire due to the deteriorating rubber insulated romex & lack of grounding...

-Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Admin Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/02/04 02:21 AM
more:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/02/04 04:34 AM
All you had to do was put new duct tape on the neutrals and it would have been just fine.

NOT! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 06-02-2004).]
Posted By: DougW Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/03/04 02:36 AM
Ahhh, the smell of overheating fabric-covered Non-metallic cable in the evening...

Smells like overtime!
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/04/04 07:25 AM
DougW wrote
Smells like overtime!

Dern Skippy! Friggin duct tape couldn't have held out till after Memorial Day?? [Linked Image]
I ended up replacing about 10 outlets in this place! GFI to replace the duct tape thing here at the kitchen counter, yanked that damn hazard from under the sink, fed through the GFI to the rest of the circuit so I could use 3 prong outlets..(P&S needs to start putting more "no equiptment ground" stickers with these things!)

-Randy
Posted By: dfe Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/08/04 11:21 PM
You know what they say about duct tape?

Duct tape is like the force ( star wars )

It has a light side..
It has a dark side...

and it holds the universe together [Linked Image]
Posted By: kale Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/11/04 07:41 PM
[Linked Image from 3m.com]

http://www.3m.com/us/office/scotch/transducttape/
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/15/04 07:33 AM
Transparent Duct Tape???
Now you can see the faulty connection arcing without having to undo everything! [Linked Image] What'll they think of next? (afraid to ask! LOL)

-Randy
Posted By: pauluk Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/15/04 09:11 AM
Don't laugh -- I've seen extension cords twisted and spliced together with regular Scotch tape. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/15/04 11:22 AM
Don't laugh -- I've seen extension cords twisted and spliced together with regular Scotch tape.

Me too! And not only once. I've even seen twisted wires taped with Scotch tape and buried in plaster!

Anyway, the most ingenious wiring device I've ever seen is the homebrew US 6-way Y-extension cord. I'm sure all of the US members are familiar with those flimsy dollar-store 16AWG (or maybe even 18) zip cord 3-way extensions. Several people I know too 2 such beasts, cut the cords in half, spliced the end with the plug to the 2 ends with the trailing sockets and mounted everything on a wall with some scotch tape or in the another case nailed it to the kitchen wall paneling.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/16/04 04:44 PM
Pauluk wrote:

Don't laugh -- I've seen extension cords twisted and spliced together with regular Scotch tape.

I've seen extension cords - 18-AWG zip cord home made ones held together with MASKING tape (the paper stuff).

The one I saw was used in a small iron-works shop (place that makes windows, doors and window-grates) as a general purpose thing to run the grinder machine and sometimes the spray-paint compressor. [Linked Image]

The male and female add-on rubber cord-caps were also quite worn out and crumbly.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/17/04 12:05 AM
Ahhh Ranger! I know exactly what you're talking about! They're supposedly for things like the "behind the bed" outlet, You plug that thing in & take an end to each side of the bed for a lamp & alarm clock, etc... Except when I seem to find em in use, there's a 1500 watt space heater stuck in there also! People seem amazed when I pull the male end of the Y cord from the wall, the rubber around the prongs is mushroomed from heat! [Linked Image]

I think I've seen everything short of actual bubblegum wrapped around a splice at one time or another... Saran wrap, scotch tape, blue masking tape, band-aids, rubber cement dipped ..... I went to a home once where the insulation was worn off the wires feeding power to the garage from the house.. The HO tore up an old tshirt & taped it over one of the wires so the wind wouldn't keep blowing em together & tripping his breaker! [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: Trumpy Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/17/04 12:43 AM
The HO tore up an old tshirt & taped it over one of the wires so the wind wouldn't keep blowing em together & tripping his breaker!
Hmm...
Instant fabric insulation, Randy!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/17/04 03:08 AM
Why limit yourself to one roll/color at a time? http://thetapeworks.com/398.htm http://thetapeworks.com/progaff.htm
{Cheaper by the dozen…}
Posted By: Trumpy Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/18/04 08:45 AM
Mmm, I must say I like the Burgundy there Bjarney!, [Linked Image]
If a roll of toilet tissue can have stars and fishes on it, why does duct tape not have this?.
I once saw a guy that tried to repair a pole that had split on his property with Duct tape.
Most impressive, a big silver pole, the 70's glitter bands would be proud!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/18/04 11:43 AM
Somebody should have told this "office electrician" (the old tenant) that the wirenuts should be twisted before applying the tape. The wires were just stuck into them (but the tape held like a biting pitbull).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: git r dun Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/23/04 09:29 PM
[QUOTE]Somebody should have told this "office electrician" (the old tenant) that the wirenuts should be twisted before applying the tape. The wires were just stuck into them (but the tape held like a biting pitbull). [/QOUTE]

In my opinion you should not have to use tape when applying wire nuts. If you have to use tape when you make taps/joints you might want to reconsider your technique and/or use of materials
Posted By: electure Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/23/04 10:16 PM
I don't use tape either. The guy that did this was a software salesman. My previous post was just sarcasm. (Incidentally, this is where I found the problem of why there was no power in the suite.)...S
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/25/04 05:56 AM
electure wrote:

The guy that did this was a software salesman

Something tells me he wasn't designing the 2005 NEC cd-rom [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: Bjarney Re: More Duct Tape! - 06/25/04 06:16 PM
Could this stuff properly be called "Cable Duct Tape"?
http://thetapeworks.com/cablepath.htm
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: More Duct Tape! - 08/16/04 10:13 PM
Ranger, did you see that Yext. cord in a Garriet Carter Catalog? I get those monthly. In the catalog there is usually a advertisement for a T-shirt. The shirt says, "I CAN FIX ANYTHING, WHERE'S THE DUCT TAPE?" One time the y-ext. cord and the shirt were right next to each other...
I'd love to see a guy wearing that shirt fix that Ext. cord!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: More Duct Tape! - 10/04/05 01:55 AM
Bump.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: More Duct Tape! - 10/04/05 02:35 PM
I've seen extension cords - 18-AWG zip cord home made ones held together with MASKING tape (the paper stuff).
A few drywallers I've seen had the cheapest residential grade extension cords ever made (Kopp discontiued that line at least two years ago). The cheap thermoplastic plug was close to no longer existant and they too had repaired it with paper masking tape.

I've seen two of those Y cords. One was at the home of a NYC friend of mine (taped to the extremely ugly dark 70ies kitchen paneling) feeding the cordless phone base station and some other lightweight stuff. The other one was at a teacher's office at Abraham Lincoln High School, Bklyn. Can't remember if it was feeding anything at the moment.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: More Duct Tape! - 10/04/05 11:14 PM
those zip cords seem to find all kinds of scary uses for DIY'ers.. I've seen old zip extension cords with the end lobbed off doing duty for everything from dishwashers, garbage disposals, even once on a pretty beefy air compressor (drawing something around 15A if i recall right) the cheap of the cheap extension cords here which mostly seem to originate from China, and tend to find homes via "dollar stores" nationwide are probably our version of what Ragnar's Kopp ext cord is...

-Randy
Posted By: yaktx Re: More Duct Tape! - 10/05/05 05:03 AM
FPE breakers: either they are held in by the deadfront, or you have to pry them off with a crowbar.

When I bought my house 7 years ago, I found a dimmer that was connected to the 10 AWG aluminum wiring using only scotch tape. No wire nuts at all!

Yeah, and it had FPE equipment, too. Built in '71. Now the service and sub are upgraded, and most of the branch circuits have been completely rewired. Only two Al circuits left, and they will be gone within a few months.

Tape on wire nuts:
In the old days of porcelain wire nuts, or any without internal springs, this was a good idea. It was to keep the wire nut from falling off. This is probably a reason most ECs stuck to solder and friction tape for so long. I can't say I blame them.

I agree with git r dun. If you have to use tape, there is something wrong with your technique.
© ECN Electrical Forums