ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin SCARY Hotwire! - 09/01/02 04:44 AM
[Linked Image]
Re-wiring a house that was occupied by a fella that had no worries about death from electrocution.

He was stealing power apparently and the power company made several trips to disconnect the power. The neighbors report that he would climb the pole and reconnect the wires by the street!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The pictures show one of his tricks to bypass the meter can. He used these plumbing taps and 14 gauge wires to "connect to aluminum wires that ran out to a shed. One of the clamps had disintegrated and burnt into the insulation.

He may have been trying to power the house by backfeeding the shed's circuit into the main service panel. I am not sure what he was up to in some places.

Nice work huh?

Love the forum.
- Joule-E
Posted By: circuit man Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/01/02 02:50 PM
[Linked Image] this guy compares with the 2 working on the sign in the pool.guess he doesn't realize just what can happen if does the wrong thing!joule, have they caught this guy & put him in jail before he kills him self or someone else?
Posted By: stamcon Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/01/02 03:51 PM
I guess the installer learned from that DIY site. He installed the valves to make sure the electric didn't seep out.

"...You need to be real careful with those old wires. if you don't get them wires sealed off properly you might get electric seeping out of them...."
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/01/02 06:24 PM
Oooo, I like it! I've got some old saddle valves, too. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Joule-E Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/03/02 09:19 PM
The police were apparently envolved with this guy a lot, but Its been 2 years since anyone lived there. Stories can get mottled over that much time. I can see layers of the work he did and the fine work done by others. I've been ripping out all sorts of "leaky" wires out of this place.
Posted By: harold endean Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/04/02 12:06 AM
Does this guy work for Dr. Kavorkian? (Is this how you spell his name? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/04/02 06:09 AM
Welcome to ECN!!,
Great spotting there,
Some people should never be allowed to
have a power supply.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/04/02 03:02 PM
JouleE:
Welcome to ECN; nice find!
Where is/was this located.
Not the specific address, but the town & state
HotLine1
John
Posted By: Joule-E Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/05/02 04:30 AM
Wyandotte County, Kansas. (Kansas City area)
Yeahhawww. Lots of old neglected homes in the area. Some neihborhoods are like that. Very poor and very uneducated people make for creative solutions.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/18/02 12:26 AM
So that's what the "tap rules" are all about!
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/18/02 01:18 AM
Now if I turn the valve will the electricity flow faster or slower and are they considered disconnects? I've been to a couple of jobs where the homeowner reconnected after the poco disconnected. People can be quite creative!
Posted By: necbuff Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/16/04 10:44 PM
This one is a true classic. This job is like the NAVY. Its not just a job - its an adventure.

[This message has been edited by necbuff (edited 09-16-2004).]
Posted By: John Steinke Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/17/04 04:04 AM
It used to be that one of the good things about electric work was that most people were too scared to play with something they couldn't see.

Today, the modern meth-head can best be spotted by looking for the guy who claims to be able to do everything- and is so proud of his cleverness! For some reason, meth-heads seem attracted to electric work. They especially like to bypass fuses, disconnects, meters, etc.
Posted By: DougW Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/19/04 02:07 AM
That's a classic. Proves once again that ingenuity knows no limits... or perhaps we've outpaced poor Mr. Darwin again...
Posted By: lil suzi Re: SCARY Hotwire! - 09/29/04 02:19 AM
Ever heard of the band 'Suicidal Tendencies'? I've heard the name but cant relate to whatever type of music they do.
Anyway, Im wondering if the former owner of that house was one of their members...hmmmm.
© ECN Electrical Forums