ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Condo Job - 10/03/05 01:48 AM
From DSpanoudakis

"In an attempt to brighten up the bedroom in my condo and make it a "little" easier to rent it out since I moved back to NYC, I decided to install some fans. Low and behold, I took down the light fixture to find this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then I remembered that my condo's circuits were ran in EMT, so I thought.
Saw this Romex coming out of the ceiling, and I got a little confused.
Thought to myself, "Let me remove the switch, and see what's hiding
behind it." So I did. This is what I find:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hrmm...I could've sworn you're supposed to hook the ends of the wire clockwise around the screw then tighten down, to prevent the wire from coming off, so I thought. Then, wait a minute, didn't I just see Romex
coming down from the ceiling, why is there individual wire here? Oh man, there has to be a splice in the attic, without a junction box. Low and behold:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great, a mid-air splice out of EMT, no protection against tearing the
insulation, no junction box, using the black as the neutral and the white as
the hot for the SL to the fixture, and one red feeding the receptacles down below. Great, just great."

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 10-02-2005).]
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Condo Job - 10/03/05 02:11 AM
Must have been done by the same guy that wired my brother's condo..... In my brother's place there's an outlet with no slack at all in the wires in the box. Makes it impossible to remove the outlet... The guy must have installed the outlet and then pulled on the wire externally from the box. Which means that there's no connector....
© ECN Electrical Forums