ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Improper Tap, among other things - 11/06/04 04:22 AM
This was in a restaurant I went to trouble shoot tripping breakers. the panel is filled with twins, in a panel that isn't listed for, so now they have breakers burning the buss. I told them they have to change the panel, and clean up the violations.

- richard
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Improper Tap, among other things - 11/06/04 04:43 AM
That distribution panel looks overloaded with mini-breakers, Richard. I haven't heard the term "twins" before. That's a creative wire-tie in the second picture that didn't quite work.

They're really lucky the whole place didn't get totaled with all that cardboard nearby.

What's fed to the left through the wall???

Nice pictures!

Dave
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Improper Tap, among other things - 11/10/04 09:08 AM
Looks like its a real nice environment to work in, what with all the flypaper hanging around.
Posted By: electure Re: Improper Tap, among other things - 11/10/04 11:15 AM
The tap to the panel on the left appears to be < 10'.
Does that panel have a main C/B?
Posted By: slumlordworker Re: Improper Tap, among other things - 11/22/04 02:53 PM
looks fun did you correct the 35 plus code violations. I would love to get atleast 2 jobs like this a week. at that rate I could retire in 10 years or so and put my kids in ivy league schools

on the real side what hack installed all that crap and did they know what they were doing or was it just here cash only
Posted By: trollog Re: Improper Tap, among other things - 12/15/04 04:29 AM
anyone notice the order of precedence on those phases? last I checked it was Black-Red-Blue, top-to-bottom or left-to-right... I see red-blue-black
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Improper Tap, among other things - 12/15/04 10:46 PM
last I checked it was Black-Red-Blue, top-to-bottom or left-to-right... I see red-blue-black
On Long Island the norm is Blue - Black - Red. It is still the same sequence, but I haven't heard anyone else mention that order.

Bill
Posted By: trollog Re: Improper Tap, among other things - 12/17/04 05:37 AM
<On Long Island the norm is Blue - Black - Red. It is still the same sequence, but I haven't heard anyone else mention that order.

Bill>

Hmm.. can't seem to find anything in the 2002 about that either except with 3 phase with a high leg, and that deals with orange.. Could this be a regional thing? I was always taught right-to-left, top-to-bottom black, red, blue... Am I out in left field on this one?
Posted By: trollog Re: Improper Tap, among other things - 12/17/04 05:39 AM
Also, I am in California.. not Long Island.. if that makes a difference.
at the toyota plant in fremont, ca, all the 480V stuff is black red blue, and the 120/208 stuff is brown, org, yel! [Linked Image]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Improper Tap, among other things - 12/17/04 08:00 AM
Since that Toyota/NUMMI plant is a former GM facility, perhaps one of the members here could could explain if that is a GM quirk?
© ECN Electrical Forums