ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Ding-Dong Receptacle - 04/11/05 08:57 PM
These photos are from an inspection 2 days ago. I could not believe my eyes. They include a receptacle tied into the Service lateral in a CT cabinet (3/0) wire ahead of the main, and you will notice the conductors are wrapped around the lock hasp of the cabinet for the "ground/ neutral connection. The real mess is this is "bell wire - 18 gauge.

Pcbelarge

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Ding-Dong Receptacle - 04/11/05 11:31 PM
Well, at least the PoCo can be assured that they couldn't have been stealing TOO much power through that setup....
Posted By: walrus Re: Ding-Dong Receptacle - 04/12/05 12:20 AM
One couldn't even make that crap up. Unreal!!
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Ding-Dong Receptacle - 04/12/05 12:33 AM
Former city inspector in Chicago [Hogan] told me years ago the only thing he didn't understand about electricty was why more people didn't die from it each year.
Alan
Posted By: nesparky Re: Ding-Dong Receptacle - 04/13/05 02:42 AM
There is an old sarcaastic saying " God looks out for fools and idiots"
When I see junk like this I believe it more and more.
The bad part is that so many get away with stuff like this and that make too many joe fly by nites lowball the rest of us who work to code.
Posted By: RSmike Re: Ding-Dong Receptacle - 04/14/05 12:40 PM
I don't see a problem. The 18 gauge wire is the fusible link. [Linked Image] yikes!!

We owned a rental house some years ago. We later discovered the last batch of tenants had added some outlets. Yes, you guessed it. All 'new' circuits were wired with 18 gauge doorbell wire.

How come you never find anyone that accidentially goofed up and ran 1/0 on a 15 amp laundry circuit. Oh right. There's that price thingy....

I've heard that the NFPA is relaxing their bonding/grounding techniques and requirements...but I think that's gone a bit too far. [Linked Image]

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: mxslick Re: Ding-Dong Receptacle - 04/14/05 05:27 PM
Anyone else notice that the 12(?) guage leads coming off that recept are connected white hot, black nut?

Fusible link, good one, RSmike! [Linked Image]

I'm also surprised that the lock hasp provided an adequate path for neutral/ground. No signs of arcing that I can see.
Posted By: mamills Re: Ding-Dong Receptacle - 04/14/05 07:14 PM
That nice piece of cardboard in the first pic. helps to eliminate those nasty arc-fault-to-ground events. [Linked Image]

What is the AIC rating of doorbell wire, anyway...? [Linked Image]

"fusible link..." - thats a zinger! [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 04-14-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Ding-Dong Receptacle - 04/17/05 10:54 AM
Wow Pierre!,
That's a beauty you've found there. [Linked Image]
Mike(mamills),
That nice piece of cardboard in the first pic. helps to eliminate those nasty arc-fault-to-ground events.
Yes I agree, a nice cheap bushing against those nasty sharp panel edges.
BTW Pierre,
What was underneath that red and yellow tape conglomeration, in the top pic?.
© ECN Electrical Forums