ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin UL Listed Fittings? - 04/21/05 12:43 AM
UL Listed Fittings?

- tshea
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/21/05 12:22 PM
Well then what have we here?.
Looks like 2" Galvanised Steel Water Pipe to me.
And by the looks of the rest of the work in this area, it makes you wonder who is in charge of this place. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/21/05 04:40 PM
The 45' angles are listed.....
In the plumbing catalogue.

I have seen this done before, outside to get around a foundation projection. It got red tagged and changed.

I have also seen a service where the "installer" used a plumbing Y to go from the service disconnect to two subpanels.
This also got red tagged but, burned down before it was corrected. Because it was documented that the owner had done the work the insurance company only paid for the board up. Everything else was an out of pocket loss.
Alan-
Posted By: mamills Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/21/05 06:08 PM
Those of you in the business will probably see a number of issues here (and I would be interested in hearing about them). The thing that would concern me the most would be the sharp edges inside these fittings and the potential damage (either at the time of "install", or later) to the conductors.

In my part of the world, I see this done regularly with PVC fittings in rural areas, where there is no AHJ. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 04-21-2005).]
Posted By: mxslick Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/21/05 06:12 PM
Look closely at the upper right of the first pic, behind the knotted zip cord (!)....

Looks like this was red-tagged at some point! [Linked Image]

And uh-oh, is that an FPE panel below the tag?
Posted By: mamills Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/21/05 06:22 PM
mxslick: it sure looks like an early Federal panel. It's most likely a "main + range + 4"
equivalent of the Square D panels to the left. I wonder if the service from the meter hits this panel first, and then is double lugged to the panel to the left, and so on, instead of using a wireway for all three.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: tshea Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/21/05 11:44 PM
the red (actually orange) tag is the Teleco ground wire identifier.
The service Duplex) enters into the far left panel then splits to the middle panel. The "plumbed in" panel is supposed to be a sub-panel, however, the #6 conductors to the main pullout were tapped under the terminal screws on the main of the middle panel.
The zip cord was an extension cord that the homeowner used to plug in at the top of the stairs. It was connected to a "painters light." Reason: the basement light switch was broken.
The other concern is the clearance here. The two far panels are blocked by the washing machine.
We relocated service to provide required clearance. We installed 2-100Amp CB panels and got rid of the fuse boxes.

[This message has been edited by tshea (edited 04-21-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/22/05 12:22 AM
tshea,
What's that poking out from behind the door of that Federal panel?.
Is it a cable?.
Posted By: electure Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/22/05 01:34 AM
Welcome tshea!

How 'bout some pictures of the new install? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/22/05 08:15 AM
Just a little thread-jack (sort of), if I may.
Can anyone post a picture of an actual Red Tag?.
I'd actually like to see one up close.
I'm not insinuating that you guys have lots of them around to take pictures of. [Linked Image]
We don't have a Red tag system over here, instead going for the more pro-active system of Mr PoCo worker comes around and removes the fuse(s), until it's safe enough to carry electricity again.
Some people I've met aren't too keen on this system, but it gets results mind you. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to correct spelling}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 04-22-2005).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/22/05 02:13 PM
Trump, there are two types of "red tags."

One is a seal the PoCo puts on the meter, same as their usual seal, but red in color. This is used when power is shut off for safety or non-payment reasons.

The other is an 4x6" (or so) piece of paper (or sticker) place on a structure by the building inspector, and says "Cease and Desist all Work". The most common reason for such a tag is not having a permit.

Haven't seen the second for a while...But I will take a pic when I do.

Oh, our PoCo has another special tag....the purple one. That is used when there are serious issues, such as power theft, and that seal can only be broken by their investigator, and not the "faults" or "troubleman."
Posted By: cubby964 Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/22/05 08:23 PM
Pardon me, but:

Aren't those the new style "rain-tite" fittings? [Linked Image]

Jim
Posted By: tshea Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/22/05 08:38 PM
tshea,
What's that poking out from behind the door of that Federal panel?.
Is it a cable?.

Don't remember. I think it's the spring metal latch to keep door closed.

How 'bout some pictures of the new install?

Sorry. Didn't get any.
Posted By: BigJohn Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/26/05 11:18 PM
Reminds me of something I saw just the other day: Some jack-legs doing store-front lighting. Someone decided that 1/2" copper pipe looked a lot better than conduit, and that's what they were running to the weatherproof boxes. The best part was watching these yokels try to pull 12/2 through the water-pipe 90's.

What permit? [Linked Image]

-John
Posted By: harold endean Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/27/05 12:53 AM
I have plenty of red tags. Where would you like me to send a picture to? I also can get the "Unsafe Structure" Card which we would put on a building after a fire.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/28/05 06:16 AM
Harold,
Could you please e-mail me a picture and I'll post it here. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/28/05 10:09 AM
cubby964
LOL, (after a few seconds till it sank in).

Red card: No drain line!

Alan
Posted By: BrycoElec Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/28/05 09:57 PM
You remember the old theories used in basic electricity? Electrons flow like water.....maybe these guys got a "lil" confused!
Posted By: iwire Re: UL Listed Fittings? - 04/29/05 10:42 PM
Harold's Red Tags
© ECN Electrical Forums