ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin DIY HVAC- an easy violation - 05/03/05 02:14 AM
This gas furnace has a circulating fan at the top. Someone decided to power it by running a piecs of 'zip cord'.
- Wires are required to be in a raceway (300.3B). Romex, incidently, is a 'raceway.' You might consider 'zip cord' a cable, but-
- You aren't allowed to use zip cord in place of a permanent wiring method (402.11).
- All splices must be in a box (appliance cases are often considered a 'box')(300.15).

In addition, the 'zip cord' might be smaller than #14 (210.19A4); We can safely assume that this is not a dedicated circuit (422.12); and, While the unit MAY pre-date a grounding requirement. that wouldn't be a bad idea!

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: DIY HVAC- an easy violation - 05/04/05 11:59 PM
John,
You might consider 'zip cord' a cable
Not in my book it isn't.
Cable in my interpretation of the word, means, individual wires (stranded or solid) insulated with an appropriately rated insulation.
These two insulated conductors are then covered with an outer sheathing of equal voltage rating to the core insulation.
This sort of cable is called Double Insulated over here.
Using Single insulated wire as fixed wiring over here will get you into a LOT of trouble.
Posted By: mxslick Re: DIY HVAC- an easy violation - 05/06/05 05:50 PM
Taking a look at the soot pattern in the area of the zip cord, as well as the flying splice and the exposed metal of the stack, makes me wonder if the previous cord burned?

The wall looks to be perfectly clean on the other side....
© ECN Electrical Forums