ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Nice Work - 06/09/05 02:41 AM
Pictures posted for LK:

This contractor was fined $2,000 for having a homeowner sign a permit application, that said the homeowner was doing the work.
The GC said, he has people to do electric work, you can see the quality work he does.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks Les!.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Nice Work - 06/09/05 07:00 AM
Les,
What's going on in these 3 pictures?.
Pic 1 looks like BX(or FMC?) and Romex in the same box?.
I'd hate to see the other side of this box.
Is this box merely a big junction box?.
BTW, what's actually holding this box in place?
Pic 2, I see a box-like fitting in the middle of the picture, was this where the cable was supposed to go?
Pic 3, Same thing again Romex + BX looking cable, with no gland upon entry into the box for the metallic cable.
Are them grounds even connected to anything?.
I say again [Linked Image] .
Posted By: John Crighton Re: Nice Work - 06/09/05 05:47 PM
Pic1, that's an "old work" box that's held in place by the little tabs on the top and bottom pressing against the sheetrock. What's weird is that these are typically used when there's no access to the interior of the wall and NM is being fished in. In this case, there's access, so why use an old-work box? Maybe it was originally placed long before the current work being done.

(I use the term "work" rather loosely here.)

Pic3, it looks like there is indeed a clamp on the metal cable. It's a "Tomic" or "butterfly" type, but it's mounted inside out (screws on the inside), and it's probably for NM cable only.

It also looks like there's another cable sneaking down the wall behind the box. There's just too many wires in that box for only two cables. There's an unterminated black wire in the middle, so I guess the intent is to install switches or receptacles, too. No worries, plenty of room!

P.S. I just noticed -- those are 3/4" knockouts, but the NM clamp looks like 1/2".

[This message has been edited by John Crighton (edited 06-09-2005).]
Posted By: LK Re: Nice Work - 06/09/05 10:54 PM
Yes, a real mess, the cable is from many manufctures, and even some old 60 degree cable was put in as new, every box he installed was used, with the exception of a few, 12NM is mixed with 14NM, and he starts with 14uf goes to a box in the livingroom, then leaves that box with a piece of old 12BX, then goes to another plastic box with 14GA NM, some swithc boxes have 18 wires in them, Stove Top fed with 12GA UF Cable, 12 Recess lights and 10 Outlets on one 14 GA Circuit, and this is just the start, of some of his crazy work.
This customer was luckey, some of these idiots, work without permits, and close the walls before anyone can see the mess, this customer called the AHJ and asked if everything was ok, before they could hide it.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Nice Work - 06/10/05 02:19 AM
I just have to scratch my head at some of these characters. If he'd spend half as much effort doing a quality job as he obviously spends scrounging up tag-ends of materials so that he can be cheap, he could probably make three times as much money. I just don't get it.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 06-09-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums